Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy not feeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sami, Aug 4, 2009.

1. sami

sami PetForums Junior

Haven't been about on here for a while, have recently finished college, so was really hard work at the end.. was worth it though, I got top marks :D (Distinction for my Nat Diploma, Animal Management) and have been working on finding a job!

Anyway.. on to the important stuff..

My springer bitch Poppy has just had a litter. Born on Saturday. Father is our other springer, Jasper.
    I've been weighing the pups daily to monitor their progress, as she had 8 of them, so I want to keep an eye on them..

One of the pups has lost 23g since it was born (was 263g the day after birth (Sunday), and is now 240g). It is smaller than the others, and it isn't as pink and healthy. I put the teat in it's mouth to encourage it to suckle, and it just spat it out again, or just lay there, but not suckling.
    Later on, when I tried again, I massaged the teat to get the milk to come out, and it swallowed it, but didn't suck.

I've syringe fed it some lactol, when it's in the mouth, it'll swallow it.. and I've got it in a box with a fleece and a heat pad, as it was colder than the other pups.

It moves around, and snuggles up to mum, but I haven't got it suckling yet. I have some puppy feeding bottles coming later on, so will use those to try and get it suckling on it's own...

Just want to know if I'm doing the right thing, and if there's anything else I can do? I'm also giving the bitch lactol to make sure she has enough nutrients for milk etc..

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Well done for the top mark's:D. sorry i can't help with your pup's though, Think there are a few breeder's on line though, Hope they're ok

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

one of my puppies wouldnt feed i got the vet to check her over & he confirmed she was healthy, i bottle fed her just to get something inside her but kept persevering trying to latch her on to a back teat which usually have the most milk, she did eventually get the hang of it, you could try getting one of the strong puppies to suckle then once it gets the milk flowing remove it & try to latch the weak puppy on, just keep trying. Good luck...im sure someone will come along with more advice soon:)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you checked for a cleft palate?

5. sami

sami PetForums Junior

Yes, I did think of that, and he doesn't. Looks fine inside the mouth.

He is weaker than the others, still snuggles with mum, so trying to alternate between being snuggled up with me on the sofa with some feeding, and being put in the hotbox on his own, and being in the cage with the other pups.

I'm hoping with some feed inside him he'll start picking up. He's got diarrhea, which I did expect, feeding him on Lactol, but it's all I have at the moment, so I'm going to replace it with Whelpie (which I've been told is better), but at least it shows it's moving through the body...

Thanks for the help so far, I'm going to persevere with him of course, and I'll keep you posted on the progress :)

And because you all want to see... here's some pics ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captain Jack Spaniel...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the one in question is the one at the back, with the spot on it's head..

[​IMG]

6. Badger's Mum

I hate you!! lol Can i have one please:D

7. sami

sami PetForums Junior

lol they will be for sale when they're ready! ;) It would be madness to keep all 8! :eek:

Have already had someone today trying to give us money, but we won't take a deposit until they are at least 2 weeks old minimum!

8. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

congrats on your pups they are so gorgeous x

9. sami

sami PetForums Junior

Thanks Molly's Mum.. I'm just reading through your puppy thread now. On page 56!

Some not good news.. little puppy's not doing well at all. I've just weighed him, and he's lost more weight. The colour isn't good, and he's very weak.

When I listen to his chest with a stethoscope, the heart sounds ok, same as the others, but there's a clicking. Not sure what that is.

Looks like it's going to be a trip to the vet later. :(

10. Molly's Mum

I'm sorry to hear he is no better, I think the vet is a must love x

11. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Ahh they are gorgeous, sorry to hear you are having a worry with one. Hope it goes well at the vet.

xx

12. cav

cav PetForums VIP

hi
    congrats on the litter and sorry one is poorly
    try feed him small amounts every 2 hours also keep him warm and make sure he goes to the toilet after you feed him you can do this with some cotton wool:)
    good luck i hope he gets stronger!:)

13. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

OMG i sooo want one

Im a sucker and go all weak when i see spaniel pups

Love em

My mum had a similar problem with one of her labby pups last year. She lost weight but she was sucking so we just had to hold her whenever they fed to make sure the fat ones didnt move her out of the way

14. sami

sami PetForums Junior

I'm sad to report that the little one has just died. :(

There was obviously something wrong inside, and he just wasn't strong enough.

I'm in tears, but there are still 7 lovely healthy fatties to look after, so I've got those to keep us busy!

Thanks for the support though.

Run free little man. RIP.

15. Molly's Mum

I am so sorry, and sending you loads of love & best wishes x x

run free little one x x

16. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Awww they're gorgeous x

17. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Awww i'm sorry to hear he didn't pull through x

18. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

sorry to hear that :(,
    R.I.P little man,

19. sami

sami PetForums Junior

We recently bought a Cherry Tree, but still haven't decided where to plant it..

We've decided we're going to bury him, and plant the Cherry Tree on top.
    A lasting reminder of him.

20. Badger's Mum

Oh sami i'm so sorry to hear that:(. What a lovely resting place for him. Did you give him a name?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice