Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy not feeding ????

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by shazalhasa, Mar 28, 2011.

1. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

One of our puppies isn't doing so well as the others and it's got me worried. She's the smallest of the litter but up until yesterday seemed to be doing well. I'm weighing them every day so that I can see how they are doing and this little one has lost 10g between yesterday and this morning :(

Any suggestions ??

btw.. we've offered her a bottle but she won't suck, we've been rotating her on the teats but again she won't suck.

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Irs easy to panic loads when a pup loses weight, have you tried feeding milk using a teat pipette?? Little bits squirted slowly down her throat may help, we've had to do this before, its time consuming, but every little bit of milk helps. Hope things improve for you soon!

Does pup seem otherwise well? Not lethargic or anything?

3. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

My advice is dont stand around too long pups go down hill to fast. Get to the vets pronto. You can never be to safe with puppies.

Hope its nothign to serious. and keep us all informed.

4. Sophiekins

Sophiekins PetForums Member

Get her to the vet FAST, pups become dehydrated so very quickly.

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Hows the little one doing?

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Reluctance to suckle is usually down to hypoglycemia (sp). Assuming your vet is shut now is won't make any difference if you go now, or in an hour. I would apply a tiny amount of glucose to her gums and wait 30 mins, then try sticking her on a teat. If she still fails to suckle, I'd get off to the vet and get them to teach you how to tube feed. I'd teach you, but I think you are a fair distance from me :confused:

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Sh!t sorry, just realised this was posted this morning. Hope things are ok.

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Hopefully puppy is ok, I had a visit from shazalhasa this morning, it looks like 'mum' had some chicken that was not quite right and pup was stimulated to wee and poo, quite a lot of poo came away from her and she seemed to be happier, could just be that she had a bit of tummy ache and hopefully by now she will be suckling after getting rid of all that nasty poo ;)

shazalhasa likes this.
  9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

sorry to take so long to come back and let you know what's been happening. We've taken her to the vet and she was a bit dehydrated so she gave her a little bit of water with a syringe which perked her up a teeny bit. Temp and heart rate was checked, all fine there.

Because she was dehydrated the vet injected her with glucose and saline ?? under the skin pretty much all over, was awful to hear her (I couldn't watch :eek: ) She did another poo at the vets and it was a fair bit again but better colour and consistency than earlier which can only be a good thing... fingers crossed !!

We're going to be syringe feeding her tonight and tomorrow, hopefully that will be enough to get her through this and start her wanting to suckle again, if not then we'll carry on until she's old enough to wean. Just really hope we can get her through this.

Thanks for all your help today tashi, really appreciated :)

10. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

She will get through this, all paws crosses here for the wee one - our last litter was injected every hour with glucose and saline under the skin its horrible isnt it :eek: but heck did it make a massive different ever so quickly!

11. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Quick Update... We got 6mls into her easily but she started to nod off a bit so we gave it about half hour and then we put her back in with her litter mates for a snuggle. After a few mins I noticed that she was more stretched out than she had been all day and her tail wasn't tucked in under her as tightly. One of the puppies started to stir so I put mum in with them to give them all a check over and clean. Within seconds of mum being in there they all made a bee line for the teats including our poorly little one, better still her tail was back up like a little flag pole :) as soon as she got to a teat, she farted out a fair bit of gunky poo :eek: so I cleared the other pups out of the way of it while OH grabbed me some kitchen roll to clean it up and put 4 of the others into a separate box so that she could feed for a while with plenty of room. When she came off, I put the others back in and she sprung into action again :) still sucking now !!

We'll give her a little top up before bed because she's missed a fair bit and hopefully she'll catch back up over the next couple of days.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

So glad she's picking up - what a worry for you.

13. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hope puppy is okay now :)

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

She's had another syringe feed this morning, only managed to get 10mls into her so will give some more later. She's back to not feeding from mum at the mo but is more active than yesterday.

15. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

awww glad she's picking up bless her x

16. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Great to hear shes doing better

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

This is so frustrating, she's been given 3 feeds so far today and after the last one, she squirted out nasty yellow watery poo before coming back around for a bit and actually feeding from mum for a couple of mins.
    Done a quick weight check and it's gone down again. She's now lost a total of 18g since Saturday night's weigh in :(

We'll keep up with the feeds but don't know what else to do, the vet saw all of this last night and knew she had lost weight but didn't seem concerned as she couldn't find anything wrong :confused:

Gonna ring them when they open after lunch and ask about this yellow watery poo

18. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Its ok for puppies to have yellowish poop so I wouldnt worry to much. Sorry if you have already said it but is mum toileting pup her self or are you doing it before an after feeds?
    I would make sure she is toileted by either you or mum before and after each meal you give her, and just make sure pup is nich and warm when being fed.

You'll get her there!

19. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Mum is doing a good job of cleaning them and getting them to pee and poo.
    Rang vets and they gave me two options...
    A. Take her in to be pts
    B. Take her in to go on a drip of glucose and fluids but said that it probably wouldn't work as she's so small and weak.

Some of you won't like this but seeing as my vet has this no hope attitude towards her then I'd rather keep her with us and just keep trying.

20. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

OMG... why would a vet say that:( poor you... :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice