Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Not Eating Well!!! - Help Please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by wellingtons mum, Aug 3, 2009.

1. wellingtons mum

wellingtons mum PetForums Newbie

Hi All - looking for some advice please - we have a king charles cavalier puppy (Charlie) he is 4.5 months old. We have only had him a week...he is fantastic, and already the whole family adore him!
    Although he is well, we took him to vets for worming etc..and she suggested we change his food (was being fed on Bakers Puppy Complete as per previous owners instructions) but he was reluctant to eat it....so changed to Royal Canin - however unless you hand feed him he isn't interested in this either - I am getting worried as he is not eating ver much and I am sure he should be eating more he does drink alot though - my dilema is dry vs wet food, or could he have a combination of both and if so what should this combination be - your advice would be very much appreciated - thanks!:confused:

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I was told to just leave it down and he will eat when he is hungry

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I wouldn't worry too much. If he's hungry, he'll eat.

4. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

hi,
    are you feeding him his food dry?

5. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Hi

My pups have a combination of the 2, dry for breakfast and supper and a mixture of dry & tripe for lunch and tea.

Maybe try adding some boiling water to the dry to soak it a bit just so he gets the taste

6. wellingtons mum

wellingtons mum PetForums Newbie

Hi - yes we are hand feeding the dry food which he eats ok - especially if my daughter feeds him! he won't eat it out of a bowl/plate....thanks

7. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

Our puppy did this at first when I changed his food. I just left it down for 15 mins at his feeding time and if he didn't eat it take it away. Don't feed again until his next meal time. He will eat it when he is hungry. This worked for us, he now eats enthusiastically and all is gone in seconds!

8. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

then i would suggest you do as Mollys Mum has stated above and try soaking it in a little water, it will make it smell nicer and also be easier to eat,

i would try and stop feeding by hand, you may be making a rod for your own back by doing that and he will get so that he wont eat out of a bowl at all!!

i would also look at feeding a mix of wet and dry, you could look at either tripe or nature diet both are a good natural food with no additives,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice