Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy not eating much

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jem29, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Nessa my shihtzu isn't eating that much. She is on the Royal Canin puppy food, which she has 2 little handfuls a day, she won't eat more than that and today she hasn't even eaten a handful of it:rolleyes:

She refuses tinned/wet food, unlike my borders that prefer it and hardly touch their Royal Canin at times.

Any suggestions? is it ok for a puppy to live off only dry food? Royal Canin is a good quality food, so I have been told so I know she is probably getting all the nutrients she needs but I can't help but think she is getting a tad fed up of just dry food, but she won't eat anything else.

Little madam;)

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

have you tried nature diet? my Mums lhasa is very picky but he loves this:)

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Dry puppy food is ok for them, My shih tzu is now 8 years old and we had same problem in the begining, I made sure she had plenty of water down (which I added a LITTLE sugar to, not alot mind as this was to encourage her to drink as she wouldnt do that either in the begining). she used to eat little and often through the day, as the dry food expands to double its size once digested. As long as she is eating little and often though the day then she is ok. If she refuses point blank to eat it at all and wont eat anything then it may be her teeth (teething) are sore and cant crunch the biscuits up. Try to soften it a little bit. If not then try another food but DO IT GRADUALLY as it can upset its tummy. If you keep changing its food it will become a fussy eater. She is a lovely looking puppy aswell. This pic is off my Suki-sue (spoilt pants). the other pic is of my two puppies No not sukies lolol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice