Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy not eating, at wits end!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by m0t, Nov 9, 2020.

1. m0t

m0t PetForums Newbie

I have a 6 month old Cockapoo and he's decided to stop eating. Cockapoos are known for doing this but I'm not finding the suggested solutions online are working.

He was on raw food when we picked him up from the breeder and we slowly switched him to Rocketo (dehydrated raw), which he loved.

When he started teething at 4 months he went off Rocketo, we think because it has seeds in it. He went off harder chews at the same time.

We switched him over to butternut box on the suggestion of some friends but he has refused to eat that. After a couple of weeks of him only eating half of his meals he decided he would eat the Rocketo again. Happy days.

At the beginning of last week he decided again that he didn't want Rocketo. We tried the leftover butternut boxes and he refuses to eat that. We've tried lily's kitchen and whilst he wolfed it down yesterday he won't touch it today.

We cut down the number of treats we were using in case he was too full from those, but that hasn't helped. The vet checked him over and didn't think there was anything wrong.

He's clearly hungry because he goes over and sniffs the food and takes a mouthful before trotting off and he's still begging for our food.

We use chicken pate treats for training and he will eat as many of those as we let him

Any help would.be appreciated.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is he losing weight/condition at all?
    And he's fine with his bowl?
    If he's otherwise happy and healthy; eating treats, drinking, eliminating normally, active and alert I'd be inclined to say he's just going through a fussy stage and holding out for something tastier.

Two options:

1) Pick a food; be it dry, wet, raw, whatever and set meal times. Food down for 15 minutes or so and if he's not eaten it by then, take it up and try again next meal time. A healthy dog won't starve itself.

2) Make every meal exciting. Feed from treat dispensers, feed different textures and flavours, use meal rations as rewards throughout the day etc.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

What Bluejay says and I would also withhold the tasty treats(chicken pate). Offer him the dehydrated raw instead.
    You may trick him into eating it if he’s in treat mindset. Also if pate is off the menu he’s got nothing to hold out for.
    What about reward him with a smidgen of pate every time he eats from his bowl. That may confuse him;):) and get you on the right footing.

Sarah H and m0t like this.
  4. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

My Beardie/Border x went through a stage of that about the same age I think. I took him to the vet had him checked which came back all ok.

Decide not to pander to him withheld all treats and snacks between meals and he soon started to eat again.

m0t likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I think lots of dogs go through a funny fussy phase when they start to hit adolescence. As suggested pick a food that he has previously eaten and stick to it, don't let him guilt you into giving him other more yummy food otherwise you will get into an endless cycle of him eating for a bit, then refusing, you finding something nicer, doing the same thing and it will go on and on.
    Don't give him treats but use his normal food as a reward. My dogs rarely get anything other than their normal dog food as rewards and they eat it with gusto!
    Make him work for it and he will value it more. Think of food as money, if you earn it you value it a lot more than if you are given it on a plate every day for doing nothing. I'm not suggesting you make him work for every tiny bit, but make him value the food more by getting him to search for it, stuff a Kong, use it as rewards and he will start to actually love working for food. It's known as contrafreeloading.

LittleMow, m0t and cava14 una like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice