Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Misbehaving lol

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cocobwoy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. cocobwoy

cocobwoy PetForums Junior

I didn't know what to call this as with any puppy they seem to get up to mischief

Anyway this is more advice as I don't want mine to get into the habbit of getting away with doing the wrong thing

We have had our springer spaniel benji (male, 9weeks) for just over a week now and love him to bits

We have taught him to sit using treats and he is very good at this now

Couple of things I am concerned with I know he's only 9 weeks and I might be overeacting but I don't want this to esolate when he gets older.

He doesn't really react to calling him "Benji" but as soon as we say "Good boy" he looks and comes which we can expect as he normally gets a treat, is there a way to get him to come to his name instead?

The major issue we have been having is he doesn't react to been told no or when he is in the wrong can anyone suggest any tips on a way to do this better than just saying no without being cruel I know he's only 9 or is this something that will improve with age?

We just don't want him getting away with biting peoples faces and arms when they come to see him, or jumping up at the sofa.

Another worrying concern is after having him a week we have tried him in the garden and he is brill soon as you open door he will follow whoever lets him out, and has managed to master the 7 steps down to the garden.

However as soon as he is in the garden all he does is eat grass, twigs, stones anything he can get hold of and I am constantly clearing his mouth of things, I take his toys out but he is just not interested he just wants to eat or go to toilet? Any ideas? just worried he will eat something not good for him

Am i over reacting thanks in advance

:confused:

2. rona

rona Guest

The name is probably said in a different tone to the good boy, try it in a higher pitch and see if it works. The name however shouldn't really be used for recall, only to get his attention then choose another word to get him to you, most people would call "Benji come"
    He has to realise what no means, either remove him from what he is doing or try and get him to do something else.
    Chewing things is natural puppy stuff, he will want to taste everything, you just have to be vigilant and work your way through this faze

3. cocobwoy

I think the other half will be better at getting it higher but i'll give it a go lol

I'll try putting him in his basket and saying no next time see if that works but most of the time he thinks were just playing.

Chewing my hand and nose is just irratating but like you said i normally give him a toy to chew on

The more concerning thing is the garden issue of eating stuff I don't want him having something that won't agree with him especially the stones, don't know what it is i must try them sometime cos they obvisouly taste yummy:eek:ut:

4. rona

rona Guest

When you say no, he doesn't have to go in his basket, just removed from what he is doing

5. cocobwoy

Okay i'll give it a go i take it persistance is the art here

6. rona

rona Guest

Yep, it takes a while but hopefully works in the end

7. cocobwoy

Thanks for the advice Rona i'll give it a go and report back.

8. cocobwoy

Right getting a bit out of hand now with the biting

He's bitten me twice now on the nose randomly out of nowhere and drawn blood.

My other half seems to be getting the worst of it as Benji is constantly biting her legs whilst walking and barking at her

He has tonnes of toys and we try to distract him with them but he always seems to prefer to bite us.

We push him away and he just comes back for even more as he thinks were playing.

I have tried the advice and Benji is not having any of it, tried saying/shouting no but again thinks were playing

Open to any suggestions as this bad habit is turning into something a bit naughty

He's still another week until he has his second injections so can't really burn his energy out on walks yet

9. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

Hi,
    In the perfect puppy book it says to control excessive play biting, get up and walk away slowly as soon as you feel your puppys teeth touch your skin. Do not say anything, look at your puppy or touch him. Just walk away so that the game and social contact are ended. Do this each time he gets over excited and begins to bite you instead of the toy. Usually puppies learn to stop biting after a few days of this procedure.
    Make sure you are playing lots of games with toys though, otherwise he will be desperate to play and will continue to try to play in the only way he knows.

Hope this helps. :)

10. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

oh forgot to say also that for biting at your legs when walking, try standing still and ignoring. again no eye contact.

11. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

For the name; I would probably call your dog by it's name, and if the puppy looks at you; give them a treat.

Your puppy seems to be confused and see's Good Boy as almost a command for him to come to you.

Stacey xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice