Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy left alone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emraa, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Well Bella has arrived, and boy do we know it! She is 12 week old Lab x Springer.

I collected her Sunday and she slept in her crate that night and Monday night without too much trouble. I had to leave her alone for 3 hours Tuesday morning. I settled her off to sleep in her crate and she was fine, the neighbours never heard a peep out of her and she seems happy enough when I got home. :)

BUT I had to go and get some shopping that evening - I was gone for around an hour and she screamed the place down, she was biting at her crate, yelping, barking, throwing her toys around etc.

I ignored her and she seemed to quieten down for a bit so I went shopping. When I arrived home as soon as I got to the drive I could hear her barking.
    Poor girl, now she isn't so keen to go in her crate and follows me everywhere. She whines if I disapear out of sight. She had to sleep on my bed last night cos she wouldn't settle anywhere else :(

She is asleep at the moment in her crate with both the crate and room doors open, but I can't do this when I'm not here as she is a chewing monster!

I am back at work next week (I only do around 15 hours per week, never gone for more than 3.5 hours) and I am scared she is going to be scarred from her expereince yesterday.

Help please!

2. flubberdub

flubberdub PetForums Junior

Hi Emraa
    Congrats on your new puppy!
    Our puppy Murphy was the same, cried and howled and chewed his cage when we left him.
    We did it gradually, putting him in it whilst we were in the house for short periods, 10 minutes several times a day, and then longer if he settled. He now likes his crate, grumbles for a couple of minutes but then is fine. Try it, Bella will settle, she is still young and missing her mum and litter mates and then you go out and shes like 'noooo please don't leave me' and barking cause she scared and upset!! Bless her, time is all it takes!! Good luck!

3. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Have you tried giving her her meals in her crate so that she associates it with being a nice place.

4. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoovering earlier, Bella got scared and ran straight to her crate - guess that means she sees it as a place of safety so it's reassuring.
    It breaks my heart to leave her in the crate when she is howling and crying though.

She is alseep now and I have put her in the same room as the crate but she wouldn't stay in the crate. Guess it's a slow gradual process.
    She is doing so well considering she has only been with me for 2/3 days. I am worried about her getting traumatised if I leave her screaming for too long! :(

I will try feeding her in the crate later and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

PS Is it normal for puppies to sleep so much?!

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Yes they do make the most of it;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice