Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy just not learning

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Almost at breaking point, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Almost at breaking point

Almost at breaking point PetForums Newbie

So we have had a rescue pup from Romania since may.
    Facts:
    We have now had him almost 4 months.
    He was 5mo when we got him
    Neutered 2 weeks ago
    Male
    Mixed breed.
    Walk: daily 1/2 hour
    Training: daily 1/2 hour

So anyway, he has always been a bit obsessive with me. Although my husband is home with our 6mo baby and the puppy all day every day, he still whines for me constantly.
    I went away on a girls weekend and he ate nothing while I was gone.
    As soon as I get home from work, you can hear him yapping and whining from the driveway. He often makes the baby cry by doing this.
    If I leave the room to go to the toilet or something, he will jump the baby gate.
    If in his crate and he hears me, he starts clawing to get out.
    If we ignore the whines, he becomes destructive and chews anything he can get, including his bed.
    If we put him in the garden alone, he just digs, leaving the garden dangerous for the kids.
    We have tried a bark collar before they became illegal (just a noise one), he whined louder.

Finally, he blatantly ignores my commands (unless I have a dog treat). We are seriously at a loss for what to do and now hubby wants him gone as it is so grating over time.
    Help. Any advice appreciated.

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Sounds like separation anxiety, something that seems REALLY common in the overseas rescues unfortunately. There's a good sticky post at the top of this section on dealing with SA.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Almost at breaking point

That's what I originally thought, but he is never alone. Hubby spends about 16 hours a day with him. So why isn't he velcro to him? I'm out so often that I don't know how he has become so attached.

4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

They can have separation anxiety from a specific person unfortunately. Do you do more things with him than your hubby? Perhaps it's the fact you keep disappearing that's the problem, hubby's there all the time so no need to worry about him disappearing?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This poor pup has had a horrible start in life and you do not appear to have much patience with him.

A half hour walk a day and a half hour training session is not enough.

Rescues can often come with issues and particularly those who began their lives on the streets.

If you cannot devote more time to him, then contact the Rescue from where he came and talk about letting him go back.

Why on Earth did you believe a shock collar would be a kind device to use on a clearly anxious pup?

6. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

He has separation anxiety from you by the sounds of it :(
    He obviously has had a rough start in life and when he finally got a home and someone who loved him he just can't bear to lose you.
    Where you the first person to pick him up/collect him/pet him/care for him? Maybe he saw you first and it just clicked in his mind that he never wants to leave you?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Almost at breaking point

Hubby does all the feeding and walking, I do training.
    The noise collar was a last resort after three months of patiently soothing anxiety, ignoring behaviours and dog training classes, none of which worked, then I was given advice to try it. We tried for a few days and stopped because it clearly wasn't helping.
    Since he doesn't walk well on lead, he can't be walked with the pushchair so hubby can only take him out after I get home. Our garden is about 30m by 20m and he plays fetch out there repeatedly throughout the day.
    I contacted the rescue when he attacked the cat, they weren't too concerned and convinced us to keep him.
    Yes, it was me who picked him up, he was meant to be a companion for hubby, so they would both have company, but whatever hubby does for him, he still just pines for me. We can both give him the exact same toy for fetch, he will take it off me but not hubby.
    Our puppy class leader says he doesn't need 1-2-1 but I'm thinking of getting a visit if anyone knows one with a good reputation in the Wellingborough area.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Frankly, I’m very surprised that a rescue would give such a dog (who almost always have complex issues - as well as a troubled past and sketchy history) to a family with young children.

It is still very early days for the dog to have settled and he must still be feeling very anxious.

Do look at the Sticky for advice but this won’t be an easy fix and patience and consistency will be key.

However, following tips off the internet and random advice can do more harm than good (bark collar :() so a bet referral to a good behaviourist who uses positive, reward based methods would be best.

Perhaps he would be better off in a more suitable home though?

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

As above an hour a day isn't enough to keep the pup stimulated. With regards to not listening unless you have a treat you might do well to replace the treat with a marker look at clicker training but this does take time and patience. Please don't use negative reinforcement like the collars he does sound anxious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice