Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy jumping gate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by flubberdub, Jul 21, 2009.

1. flubberdub

flubberdub PetForums Junior

Hi all

I have a 6 month old puppy who is great.

But...... he has just learnt jump the safety gate,and jumps over when we are out or during the night!! He can't get anywhere else in the house because doors are shut, but it is frustrating! I have looked into getting a taller gate but can't find one because the door is very narrow and all taller gates come in standard width!

Any ideas to stop him jumping??? hes only small, a cockapoo, so didn't think he would be able to!!

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest a lindam dog gate like argos sells but if your door is too narrow it might not fit. What gate have you got now?

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

4. flubberdub

Hi thanks

Yes still to wide, the opening is 60.5 wide!! very narrow!! unless I chipped out the wall a bit!!!, but don't think the oh would like that!! Thanks for looking though!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could you put some extendable lattice work on the top of the gate?

6. ec77865

ec77865 PetForums Newbie

Maybe you should try putting some things in the room where he's in that would distract him from wanting to get out. Like, one of those peanut butter toys. :)

7. flubberdub

did try that, but would have to take it off every time i opened gate or it wouldn't open, and if i leave a gap he would get through it!!

I even put another gate, baby dan travel one, above it but he ripped it to shreds and got through the hole!! He has been so good up til now,, bless, the joys of a puppy!! Will keep searching for a gate or if all else fails will have to get something made!!

8. flubberdub

lol, he has a kong with peanut butter and treats in it, and the radio on for company, hes just being a pickle!!:)

9. ec77865

ec77865 PetForums Newbie

lol, that's a pretty determined puppy!

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could have a mesh door made for next to nothing.

11. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a piece of plywood hinged to a batten on one side and a bolt on it. make it as wide / high as you like.

12. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I have had had the same issue. Other than the previously suggested routes you could try the following.

Balance something on the top like cans or cups of water - it'll scare the bejeezus out of him! Probably won't try it again!! We've done this with door handles when the little bugger worked out how to open doors.

Or..... long line so he can reach the gate but not enough length to jump. May take a few attempts to get the length right - we found Indy on the otherside with the line still attached!!

13. flubberdub

He sure is determined little fella!! Will try some of your suggestions!
    Thanks all

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice