Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy is trying to be dominant

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Roisin, Jul 20, 2009.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

awww i bet they are cute!! :D

2. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

yeah, we all love tilly...especially when shes asleep..its like heaven:D lol, but or new lab, rosie just stretches all her legs out and takes all the room, Toffee the jack-a-bee is getting old, but still totally gorgeous!! :)

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

How you getting on with house training?:)

4. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

well with tilly, she likes sleeping in the kitchen with her cage but not actually in it, so we took the bed out and she sleeps next door to our other dog for comfort and the cage has just newspaper now because she goes toilet in there, so thats a start, better than the carpet. but with rosie shes doing alright, going on the mats already and its her first full day here! but they're terrors when it comes to chewing, tilly is awful..chews abosolutely anything :eek: . what about you? :)

5. Badger's Mum

She's good few puddle's here and there, :D

6. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

not too bad then :)

7. Badger's Mum

No and it's normaly when i am at work so down to the kid's forgetting to let her out:rolleyes:

8. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

haha, typical :rolleyes:

9. Badger's Mum

yep but she come's to work with me most of the time now it's not too hot for her:D

10. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

aww thats nice :)

11. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

12. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i always thought the mothers kennel name was taken by pups. the rest of it was made up.

ie
    shardanel (kennel) all that jazz(invented)

13. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

could the 9 week old pup be showing resentment toward her, cause she isnt the baby no more.Sounds a bit silly but she might need extra cuddles just to make her feel special.Its just a thought.

14. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Hi,

The Springer is not being dominant, play fighting is quite normal puppy behaviour. Puppies need to play fight as it helps them to learn bite inhibition an other valuable social skills.

At 8 and 9 weeks they are very young pups and this sort of play fighting is to be expected, and yes it can sound quite alarming at times.

A really great book I recommend is:

Before and after Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog

You might also find these of interest:

Hope this helps

15. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

Stella my Jack Russell is over 2 years old now and has no aggression in her whatsoever but when she gets together with my sisters bichon frise (who is 18 months and also not aggressive) it is continual playfighting. It looks horrible. All teeth and lots of noise and they box like hares. They never hurt each other but it's tiring to watch. When they've finished playing they curl up together and go to sleep.
    They are often playing tug of war with toys and chews. So funny. They take them off each other and run away with them and then the next time you see them the other one has it and the chase is reversed. Never any nastiness from either of them.
    Yet they both respect my sisters old xbreed who is like the grandma sorting out the youngsters.

All part of puppyhood but in the case of Stella and Lucy - well I just think they must be Peter Pans of the dog world.:)

16. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

The voice of reason.

17. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Just a general wondering to people who have crossbreeds and invent silly names for them - if you're that reluctant to call your dog a crossbreed/mongrel, why not get a purebred dog in the first place? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice