Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy is trying to be dominant

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Roisin, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

hello, i have 3 dogs- a 14 year old jack-a-bee, a 9 week old springer and an 8 week old labradinger. All 3 girls are lovely but the 9 week old seems to be being horrible to our new lab. Do you think she is trying to be dominant?

She tends to start fighting and we cant tell if it is play fighting- we have a problem with her biting too- and she seems to take a huge grasp on our new puppy and although the lab wants to play she does not enjoy the "attack" from the springer. This is making our lab pretty clingy and obviously we do not want that. And recently our springers bites have become much harder, we have tried to be consistant and as firm as possible but she seems to be too excited and gets extremely hyper. ( we have had the springer for 8 days and the lab was brought home yesterday and both have settled in nicely, its just these few problems)

could you give me some tips and advice on how to stop the biting, help her to stop attacking in such ways and just to get them to play nicely together.

Thank you =]

2. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

whats a ladradinger? and a Jack-a-bee never heard of those before :)

when zeb was tiny he had a friend who used to "eat" him it looked horrible but wasnt and when he had, had enough he would move away all we did was make sure the bitting pup couldnt get to him so he had his own space :)

4. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

Thank you for these posts, it makes sense to think my pup is just being a puppy! although i love her very much she gets quite annoying! but i tend not to show that lol. Do you think i should give her something to chew on from the pet store?

Thanks again :)

5. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

A labradinger is a cross lab and springer and a jack-a-bee is a cross jack russell and beagle..pretty cute lol

gosh, see thats the same problem it actually looks like tilly is trying to eat her and i get quite worried, i think tilly is just a greedy bugger aswell haha :)

Thanks for the reply

6. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think they sound like normal pup's my pup has bone's and toy's to chew on, but she still like's a chew of me now and again:rolleyes: and still like's to play abit rough with my other dog's:D

7. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

aww bess, we just put the two dogs together and they played nicely for a bit then tilly wee'd on the floor and got a bit hyper..haha :rolleyes:
    i shall try toget her a chew today and hope for the best:D

8. Badger's Mum

My springer and lab are a month apart it is hard but worth it:D

9. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

i know, im such a dog lover, i know its gonna be hard but im already kinda enjoying it, good luck with yours :D

10. Badger's Mum

Mine are 2 now:D, My cocker's about 4 month's now:D. Shaw you probly no this, but make shaw you give them some 1 to 1 with you or you'll have trouble later if you only want to take one out:D. keep us up to date. Is the lab crossed with a springer?

11. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

aww, i love it when their little but there such a handful you cant wait til there older then when they you want them little again lol

yeah shes 8 weeks and 4 days and quite a chubby one too :D

12. Badger's Mum

there Known as springerdor's round here nice dog's:D

13. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

ugh this blimmin thing is so annoying..i replied but said i didnt :cursing:, god lol, yeah if you didnt get it i said yeah, shes 8 weeks and 4 days and pretty chubby haha :D

14. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

aaah, so it did work, blimmin computer haha. oh ive heard that before but this guy said they were labradingers lol :D

15. Badger's Mum

Just spoken to a friend she's heard them called that before:D. doesn't matter what you call them does it:D

16. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

no it dont, they're still beautiful :D, what dogs do you have again? :)

17. Badger's Mum

Jack russel springer lab and a cocker:D. have you got any pic's of your's:D

18. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

In zoos if they cross eg a lion with a tiger, they use the first part of the name from the dad and the second from the mum - so male tiger x female lion would be a tigon. Don't think they use the same form in the dog world though, it's just what the breeder thinks sounds better ;)

19. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

yep i do, ill upload them a bit later im a little busy at the moment though :)

20. Roisin

Roisin PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice