Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Insurance Recommendation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by OzzyJeffery, Mar 22, 2019.

1. OzzyJeffery

OzzyJeffery PetForums Junior

Hi,

We are collecting our gorgeous cockapoo in 10 days time. We have never had a dog before, but really excited to welcome her into our family.
    Can anyone recommend any good and reasonable insurances? Also, what level of cover?
    We’ve decided to go for annual ‘lifetime cover’, but not sure on company or maximum vet?

Thank you in advance

2. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

IMO, the best of the best is petplan. They’re not cheap but they never quibble and they are the only insurer my vet will deal with directly. I pay £32.04 a month for Olive. Mavis is still covered under the breeders four weeks free at the moment. Saffy isn’t insured because she’s got so many ailments and she’s an old lady that it’s easier to just pay for prescriptions and order her meds online

DaisyBluebell and Animalfan like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I had my murphy with direct line and his crept up year on year to £60/month!! It didn't even cover his hips.
    But it wasn't a basic policy either.

To the OP - if your pup comes with any insurance started by the breeder, i would stick with that for the first year until you see how your dog is health wise.

I learned a very hard lesson by letting that cover lapse. The problem is, once you switch insurers, there is this 10 day lag thing where you get a break in cover between the old one stopping and the new one starting. There's no way round it that i could find. It's crazy but you just can't seem to get one policy to stop and another to take over with no gap. If something is found during that 10day gap, it won't be covered by any insurance company.

My friend has very good experience with a company called Four Paws. They are very reasonable and paid out well for her dog.

I called them and got a great quote when my direct line policy shot up to the 60. I would have switched but, what do you know, when i called direct line they immediately wanted to match the four paws quote. We stripped some extras out of the policy and they did manage the match. So I'm still with them for now.

I had one claim on the policy and they paid out no problem. No form filling for me. The insurance company dealt direct with my vet and the money just appeared.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Can't you just have a 10 day overlap? So for example, the 4 week puppy insurance expires on the 26th of the month so you take out your new insurance starting on the 16th? Because I think you get that 10 day or two week gap no matter when you change from one insurer to another.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm another with pet plan always been really good.

Animalfan and The Wild Bunch like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

You would think so wouldn't you. But no, seemingly not. Had i changed from direct line to 4 paws, i would have had the 10 day gap.

They will not allow you to keep paying your old policy til the new one kicks in. I pointed out you can change car and house insurance so one takes over as the other stops. But it was to no avail. Pet insurance, for some reason, is different.

JoanneF likes this.
  7. Janie Wellman

Janie Wellman PetForums Newbie

8. Janie Wellman

We’ve been with many insurance companies over the years. When we got our puppy last year we took out a policy with Bought by Many. You pay one premium amount for the lifetime of your dog, they guarantee that monthly amount will not increase. Comes with good cover too x have a look

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I do like the sounds of that!

10. The Wild Bunch

Olive is just two so we are happy with the price at the moment. When Barney was with us, his policy was over £100 a month - probably because he had a heart condition that he was medicated for. Only cost me one excess per year though

11. Janie Wellman

We pay about £20 a month and I think it’s £7,000 per condition

tabelmabel likes this.
  12. OzzyJeffery

Thank you everyone, will check them out.

13. OzzyJeffery

It’s quoting me £43p/m for that level of cover with them!

14. The Wild Bunch

Been on the phone to pet plan for ages and they have quoted me £69 per month. Bought by many quoted me £42 per month for higher cover but don’t do dentals. In a quandary now as not sure if to jump ship or not

15. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Petplan here as well, expensive but best cover by far and only goes up reasonably (Col) per year. Be careful chopping and changing as preexisting conditions will not be covered, and that is not just what you have claimed for but if you have been to the vets...

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  16. OzzyJeffery

Which level of cover do you have?

17. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Lifetime, think 7k

18. OzzyJeffery

Has £7k been enough cover for you?

19. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

My dog's with petplan, lifetime cover 4k.
    They've been good the few times I've claimed and I'd say the vast majority of vets know they have a good reputation for paying out so will deal with them direct.
    Just as an aside once the animal reaches a certain age you have to pay the excess + 20% of any bills/claims.

20. OzzyJeffery

Has £4k been enough for you?
    I’ve been looking at £15k per year as don’t want to be caught out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice