Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy in my car..please help !!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JennieJet, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi. does anyone know how to help pleeeeease ? When my 15 week lab puppy goes in the car she yelps so loud and high pitch that is hurts my ears for the whole journey :( She goes in the boot fine and doesnt seem scared at all as she jumps in all by herself but the second the boot door shuts she starts. She can see us and out the boot window so she is not enclosed or anything. Her barking is so loud and high pitch it hurts and I dont know what to do ? any suggestions ??? thanks

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

What do you do when she starts making the noise? I found with my last dog theat no amount of soothing or yelling helped but I learned my lesson with Henrick. I got my oh to drive while I sat in the back, as soon as he started making noise I ignored it completely then when he went quiet I praised him like mad giving treats etc. I repeated this till he got the idea that being quiet meant he was good and being loud meant he was being bad. He now travels like an angel.

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I've got a lab but never had a prob with her in the car don't no realy but maybe try putting a cover over her?

4. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Mine did for the first few weeks... distracting isn't it!! Can only imagine it is the strangest experience for them. Try make it a positive experience - maybe take her bed with you in the boot, but in essence all i did was carry on regardless - she wasn't in pain, just slightly confused how she was moving so quick without her legs doing anything :rolleyes:

5. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

I ignore her ( even though it hurts like hell and is soooo loud ) and if she ever has a silent spell ( very rare ) I will praise her .....

6. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

can you get a crate for her to go in and get a blanket to go other it, or is the car to small for a crate, some times dogs get to happy because they now they are going to the park or somewhere fun

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko always done this and he suddenly stopped once I was learning how to drive. I put it down to me being a better driver than mum and dad ;) We got him a seat belt thing off of ebay to stop him walking around the back seats so I'm not sure if that helped or not. When his screaming got really bad it sounded like he was shouting Mummy! He still screams when he's left in the car for a few minutes like today I parked next to the cash line at the petrol station where he could still see me and he was barking/screaming asif I was miles away.

8. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

I usually put my dogs blanket in the boot of the car and as he sleeps on it normally he found it comforting and for some reason he likes travelling more when the radio is on as he falls asleep as soon as the car starts moving and waking briefly to see where he is.
    when we get to our destination i reward him and make a big fuss and this has worked brilliantly.

9. sammyben

sammyben Guest

My 13 week old lab is exactly the same! Its just because its a whole new experiance to them and they are still insure of it. It will just take time and patience, the more often they are in the car the better they will get

x

10. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Been taking the puppies out for a drive today - my poor ears!

1 screamer, 1 quiet first pair
    2 screamers second pair
    2 burblers then went to sleep third pair

and I've got to do it all over again tomorrow or the next day, they were in a crate inside the cage in the back of the car so could see out but it was really their first trip out in a car.

Want to bet that they all scream?

Trying to get the screamy thing out of the way for the new owners since they've got longish journeys home, aren't I a nice breeder?

Doesn't help you at all but I thought I'd add to your painful ears :D

11. xxxannxx

xxxannxx PetForums Newbie

When I got my puppy at 8 wks he was the same. He's now 13wks and a lot better. I just tried to take him on a lot of little trips 1st for 5-10mins or so, until he got used to being in car, and knew he wasn't being left alone. He does still yelp a bit when car stops moving at lights, etc, and jumps around, but I think thats because he thinks its time to get out!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice