Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy in charge

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by clarabird, Nov 20, 2012.

1. clarabird

clarabird PetForums Newbie

Hi
    we have recently got a samoyed puppy who has lived with us for 3 weeks now. she is a delight and both my partner and i love her already. Being new to dogs we are trying to traain her as best we can but I am struggling. when my partner is out at work she is constantly barking at me and nipping my legs and ankles trying to take anything out of my hands and toileting in the house. I play with her for short bursts but trying to get her to understand that i can not play all day is becoming more and more diffucult as she really will not leave me be.
    any advice guys would be massively appreciated

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Have you tried looking into crate training so she has somewhere to relax and unwind and it gives you a break?

3. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

i agree with pp crate training is brill , if you want her to entertain herself for so you can have a little break how about getting something like a kong that you can stuff with food for her :)

4. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily

have a look at the above link. It's an extremely reputable site and you'll get great advice there. In the first instance, read the 2 free downloads--before you get your puppy and after you get your puppy. They are little short pieces and easy to read--not tomes of jargon.

You will need to invest in a crate and a puppy pen. A very cheap investment as you will be avoiding damage to your house/carpets and nerves!!

Also get yourself and the puppy to a GOOD puppy class ASAP! They will help you with all these perfectly normal behaviours.

Let us know how you get on!!

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

How are you toilet training her? She needs to be taken out every 30/45 minutes into the garden, very frequent trips for shorter periods of time seems to work better. If she starts to go, use a cue word, if you use it every time eventually she will asssociate the word with toileting and you will be able to use it as a toilet command eventually. When finished lots or praise and treats to re-enforce outside is the correct place. You also need to take her out after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping as they usually need to go then too. Look out for circling sniffing and scratching at the floor, as its a sign usually they are looking for somewhere to go, so get her out quickly. Sometimes though you dont see this until later as when young they dont always recognise the need to go or realise too late, especially if there mind is occupied or they are doing something. if she has an accident dont tell her off as it can make them nervous about going in front of you and more likely to sneak off and do it. Also make sure you use a special stain/odour remover for pet accidents as any smells left can encourage repeats in the same places.

If she is not going through the night, and is within sight and sound of her pop her out if she wakes or stirs. Dont turn on bright lights it stimulates them awake, and dont talk to her or interact at all, just out toilet and back to bed.
    If she isnt within sight and sound of you some people set an alarm once or twice and pop them out that way. Ive found by constantly taking them out day and night although a lot of work they do seem to get the concept quicker that outside is the right and only placce to go. Usually the start to go through until morning after that pretty quickly.

You can also crate train her for when you cant watch her, but they need to be introduced to it and trained to accept it as otherwise they wont take to it.
    If you have never crate trained seek advice before using it. It is just an aid to toilet training though, as the theory is dogs will not soil their beds, surrounding areas and where they eat, but they do still have to be taken out and trained still, as left in there and needing to go they will if they have too.

The more you play or interact with her when she barks and nips the worse she will become as you are rewarding the behaviour. Dog usually get worse with the nipping behaviour for several reasons, its attention seeking, and if it gets a reaction they will do it more as its rewarded. They also do it usually when over excited and hyped up more, and also a third reason can be when they are overtired then the nipping bad behaviour often begins to get worse too. Pups need rest as well as play, some though will not calm down or have rest periods inbetween they will just keep going and going non stop, so you need to give her wind down periods of rest as part of the routine.

Dont know what "play" you do with her, but I would swop it for more structured sessions, like beginning to do some basic obdience training mixed with play, teaching her sit/wait/down/stay/come etc. If shes anything like the Samoyed I used to have they love food, so teach her commands and use treats and praise to reward when she does it. It makes them mentally tired too as well as gives physical stimulation. Several 10/15 minute sessions usually works well a day. This should also give you overall more control, if shes sitting and waiting, she wont be jumping up and barking either. In fact start to use the commands and getting her to sit and wait for anything she wants and anything you give her too.

If you are new to dogs and training then joining a training class will help, you can then practise what you have learned in training at her training sessions daily. Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK is one organisation that should find a trainer and classes in your area.

If she starts to nip you can try several things, making a high pitched yelp like a pup in pain if she has learned bite inhibition in the litter should help. If she hasnt though it wont and some pups it can make worse, so try it a few times and if it doesnt work try something else.

Folding you arms turning your back and as you are turning say OFF firmly, and stay turned away stock still looking up at the ceiling, stay that way until she stops and calms down, then get her to sit praise and treat. If she starts again repeat it and keep repeating it.

If the above doesnt work after a few attempts then pop her in another room like the kitchen, and leave her to calm down. Let her out but totally ignore her for another minute or so, then call her to you, get her to sit then attention and praise, and keep doing it every time she starts. Eventually she should get the message that barking and nipping doesnt get her any attention and interaction at all, and doing commands and being calm does.
    You need to be persistent though some pups get it quicker then others.

After periods of activity or training or walks (if she can go out yet) start introucing wind down time and rest periods too, put her in a room, kitchen is good with a baby gate or dog control gate on the door, and leave her with no fuss, but leave her with something, to self amuse wind down and eventually relax. Suggestions below. You May need to start with short sessions at first and then build the time up gradually. Let her out but continue to ignore her for a minute or two, and then call her to you get her to sit and lots of praise. Suggestions for things to leave her with to self amuse are below.

Busy Buddy Twist-n-Treat - YouTube

Recipes - Kong

Wobbler Dog Toy | Dog food fillable toy for paced eating | Kong Co.

https://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/easy-antler-dog-chew-medium

6. clarabird

clarabird PetForums Newbie

Thanks Guys for your advice, we cant take her out yet but she has just had her second lot of injections today so 2 weeks and we can. defo going to take her to puppy class as soon as she is allowed as we know we want to do it properly and train her as best we can. her play time at the moment is playng with toys and also practising basic commands we do sit and paw and now trying to get lie down cracked il let you how we get on with all your advice i will be purchasing a kong in the nex few days as well
    thanks again guys advice is greatly on taken on board

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice