Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy in a flat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mand1971, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mand1971

mand1971 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We live on the first floor, below us are ground floor flats with back gardens but no back gate. They are allowed dogs, but to walk them they have to go on the communal area. There is also another flat which has 2 doors, the second door leads onto a communal balconly, he has a dog. We wanted to get a dog as my partner has cancer and is trying to run a business from home. I feel that a dog would give a lease on life and help him get out and about. Basically my question is how do we get around having a dog, even though we have been told we are not allowed because our front door opens onto a communal balcolny. Please help

Thank you

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi,

There have been a few threads about this recently. I think generally people feel that having a garden is ideal, but plenty of people have dogs in flats. I'm in a 2nd floor flat and have a Westie. I'll admit it is quite a bit more difficult to toilet train a dog in a flat, but I managed in the end and now there isn't really a downside, although I would love her to have a garden.

One thing to think about though is puppies shouldn't be going up or down stairs until they're at least 1 year (I think) so if you're thinking of getting a large breed that might be an issue.

3. mand1971

Hi

Thanks for that, we are thinking of getting a terrier, but we are having problems because the tenancy says we cannot have dog because or door opens onto a communal balconly, but other tenants who have a dog still have to take their dogs through the communal area.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Terriers are great :thumbup: Not sure about the 'legal' side of things though sorry.

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If your tenancy states that you are not allowed to have a dog then you have to stick to it. It would be unfair to get a dog then have to rehome him/her due to rule you already knew was in place.

You could try writing to your management company/landlord & ask if they would reconsider but you may find that they are unwilling to do so. I had to obtain written agreement to keep a dog when I lived in a flat which also cost me approx £50

6. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

If your tenancy prohibits it then I think you're stuck tbh. Rescues and reputable breeders will ask for written proof that you are allowed a dog if you rent as they do not want to home a dog and then have it returned when your landlord finds out.

I think the only thing you could do would be to talk to your landlord directly and maybe offer to have the communal areas cleaned if that is the problem? Other then that there isn't much you can do - if you buy/adopt a dog under false pretences and then have to return him or her it really isn't fair on the dog.

ETA: Or what Cleo38 said!

7. mand1971

Hi,

We would never get a dog until we had permission, what I'm saying is that if someone lives on the ground floor, have a back garden but no back gate, but they have a dog, but to walk this dog they have to go through a communial area, what is the difference to us, who live in a flat and our door leads onto a communial area, we are basically the same accept they live on the ground floor.

8. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Unfortunately when it comes to management companies etc. logic doesn't have much to do with it!

I would approach the company/landlord directly and point this out to them and maybe offer to have the communal area outside your flat cleaned. It is possible that you would have a legal case if you challenged it but it would be a lot of time and money.

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It depends on the flat & who your tenancy is with. Although I owned my flat it was still part of a building so was leasehold & I had to abide by the tenancy agreement set by the owner of that building.

If you are renting you may have rules set by the owner of your flat & the management company (if they are different). If one person (or compay) owns all the flats they may still have different agreements. It may be that the owner seeing access to a garden as being ok so no 'accidents' occur within the property.

Can you contact them to try & find out or ask your neighbours what their agreement states? You may find that they haven't received any sort of agreement but have still chosen to get a dog.

10. mand1971

Hi,

None of these flats a owned, they are all rented. We are trying to speak to the Neighbourhood Manager, but he seems to be avioding us. We know of other flats that have dogs but have not asked permission. We just thought that we would do it the right way by not being sneaky, but asking for permission first:)

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I know it might be more difficult but I think you are doing the right thing by trying to obtain an agreement first. If you did get a dog then had to get rehome due to tenancy rules it would be heartbreaking for you & unfair on the dog.

I would contunue to speak to the manager or write a letter - do you know who owns the building?

If it is a definite NO maybe you could volunteer at a local rescue centre & do some dog walking in your spare time. I used to do that before I got my first dog & it was really rewarding

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I would ring and ask and explain your situation and the fact other tenets have dogs etc

Mine always ask if it in writing but they really could care less I don't think they know we have bear lol but they are based in Milton Keynes and I'm in Plymouth so they never ever give us checks not even once in 7 yrs!

13. mand1971

Guess we will have to keep trying, don't give up that easily

14. mand1971

Does anyone else please have some good advice as the rest have.

15. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Hey Hey... it can be a nightmare finding a landlord that will accept pets. When I rented in London with 2 cats I paid an extra deposit and also offered to have the place professionally cleaned when I left so this could be an option.

Thankfully my landlady was an animal lover, in fact she wouldn't allow children but was happy with any animal! :001_smile:

Here's a link to a website that may help you - it's sponsored by the Dogs Trust

Home | Lets with Pets

Good luck!

16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is there anyone higher up that you can contact to ask for permission if your present contact isnt being much help.
    I was also wondering if your partner, has any Mcmillan support, they are ace at practical support as well as the emotional support, pets have been shown to be a benefit to people with illnesses, including the PAT dogs, Maybe the Macmillan nurse can do some kind of letter in support on your application for permission if you do have one. Or if not have you got a decent GP.

17. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Obviously you would simply take the dog for a walk to go to toilet but when setting these rules they probably have to factor in the lazy gits that would simply let the dog out to crap on the balcony. Maybe worth talking to management to see if it can be altered in your case. However i'd look for an adult house trained dog rather than a puppy as it would be much easier in a flat and for your partner to not have additional effort in raising a pup on top of work while feeling unwell.

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I know it is possible with tiny breeds like Chihuahua's to either puppy pad train them or train them to use a litter tray. Plus they can be easily carried through communal areas without ever touching the ground.
    Also they wouldnt be too hard for someone who might have off days due to illness. Althogh for any dog make sure you get permission first. It just might be wirth trying this approach if yo dont mind having a toy breed.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice