Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy holds bladder overnight but needs comforting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emeg2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Emeg2

Emeg2 PetForums Newbie

Looking for some advice. My 9 week old cavapoo puppy is such a good boy and a really quick learner. The last three nights he has not peed or pooped overnight, even when given the opportunity...he’s big on sleep. He sleeps in a crate in our room and he consistently wakes up in the night needing comforting. About 4-6 times a night he will wake up and cry, refuse to pee or poo, but will continue crying until I tuck him in bed and sit with him till he falls asleep.

I get that puppies have been sleeping in a litter and need the warmth and closeness, I get all the logical bits, so I’m really looking for some advice on how to help him feel soothed without my warmth and closeness so I can get more than 2 hours sleep.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long have you had him?

I’d have him in bed with me for now tbh.

If he’s not wanting to toilet then he’ll probably sleep well with company/comfort.

JoanneF likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It will improve as he gets a little older but make sure he is warm enough, isn't hungry (so a snack immediately before bed time), and some people suggest a ticking clock nearby. You could also put a t shirt that you have worn, and that smells of you in his bed.

4. Emeg2

Emeg2 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies.
    We’ve had him for a week! He’s got one of my T-shirts in with him in his very cosy bed.

I’m really reluctant to have him in bed with me as I have two cats and they tend to sleep on my bed at night and I can’t risk this.

I’m grateful for all suggestions!

Attached Files:

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Time. You're doing everything right - he's close to you, can hear your voice and is learning to settle on his own. If he wakes, my advice is not to give too much attention, just shush him back to sleep. If you do take him out to the toilet then keep lights to a minimum and no long conversations.As he grows more independent he will start to sleep through the night ......

J

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When you say he doesn't want to toilet in the night, do you go outside with him? If you just open the door for him, he's not likely to be confident enough to go out by himself. He'll sleep better with an empty bladder; we all know what it's like when we hold on in the night, rather than get up and go for that pee.

Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  7. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Cute pup! He's just settling in IMO a week is no time at all I think he's doing extremely well if he is settling now, even if it is for a short time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice