Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Hiccups

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bex190, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

My 8wk 3day old puppy Otto keeps getting hiccups which shake his whole body. He gets them at all times, after he eats, when he's playing and when he's going to sleep. It doesn't seem to bother him apart from when he's trying to sleep but I was wondering if anyone knows what causes hiccups in pups or has any cures for them. I don't think drinking a glass of water while standing on his head will help in his case!

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

They seem to grow out of it, however Shen still has the odd bout of hiccups.

I have always wondered if it was to do with an immature digestive system.

3. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

My Pup is the same. She usually gets it when she's having a mad 20 minutes!

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you for the replies. Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon. It's kind of cute but Otto gets a bit grouchy when he's trying to sleep and his hiccups are keeping him awake!

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Mine had them alot when he was a pup bad more so after eating its some thing hes grown out of.

6. flynnsmum

flynnsmum PetForums Member

Hi Bex, my GSD pup has regular bouts of hiccups too. I have never had a pup before, the GSD's my dad had were older and so was mine, so I found this quite a worry at first. But I have read elsewhere they will grow out of it as they get older. Flynn gets his mostly when he's had a mad half hour and then lapped at his water so I suppose that's understandable.

Bex190 likes this.
  7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Sammy used to get them quite alot when we first got him too! He still gets them now but not as often.

x

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you all. It's nice to know he's not the only one!

Otto's the first one I've had from a pup too. I'm still learning what I should be worried about and what is normal for a puppy!

9. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Bella gets them too, glad to hear it isnt just her, she gets them after eating!
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice