Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emma2309, Sep 18, 2019.

1. emma2309

emma2309 PetForums Newbie

Hello!

We got a new puppy a week ago, a 9 (nearly 10) week old cocker spaniel and while we are absolutely in love with her, we're struggling with quite a few things!

The main thing is nights. We started her off in her bed (which she is happy in generally) in the kitchen which is gated off to the rest of the house, with her training bad at the other end of the room. She only sleeps for a maximum of 2 hours before she cries and cries (its usually more like an hour) When I go down she is absolutely fine and has already been to the toilet on her pad. She just wants to say hi and then goes back to sleep. I have tried leaving her for as long as possible but she gets really loud and we're mid terrace in an old house with thin walls so worry about the neighbours.

Our neighbours lent us a crate last night, which she was happy to go in with her bed and we put a blanket over it to make it darker for her but she still woke up as many times.

She's the same during the day if I even leave her for a few minutes. If she's tired she will eventually get in her bed but she won't play alone.

I've had this week off work to get her sorted but I don't feel like we're getting anywhere. I'm back at work on Tuesday, I work 2 days a week in my family's shop (and the rest of the week at home) and she will be coming with me so not left alone all day but she'll need to be ok to entertain herself while I'm busy.

Looking for any advice and just general reassurance that this does get better! I've been getting so anxious over night that I'm waking up feeling sick.

I love her to bits and definitely not regretting getting her, just struggling to see an easier time!

2. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

She has left all she knows her mum and siblings if you are able it's best to have her in the room with you for a while. Could you have her in the crate next to your bed? And slowly once she settles more move it further and further away from you?

3. emma2309

We have considered this but I don't quite understand how it works with toilet training?

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello ans Welcome to PF

When we first had Dillon I had his crate in the living room and I slept on sofa so it was easy to put him in the garden for toilet breaks, I slept on the sofa until him was dry and slept though the night about 4 weeks.

What's her name and what breed is she?

Bye the way, puppy photos are a must.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. puppymadness

Dogs tend to not like to go to the toilet where they sleep. Therefore she won't want to go in the crate, but more importantly she should be more settled as you will be with her a night.

6. emma2309

So is the idea that she wakes us up to be taken to the toilet?

7. puppymadness

Yes she should do, I'm not sure if I've missed something though (I am ditzy!) I thought you were worried about her crying because she is not settling therefore waking up and crying?
    We took Luna and Bella upstairs with us, Bella wasn't crate trained. When Luna broke her leg (she was 10 weeks old) we created her in the day to help with the rehab and slept downstairs with her so we could get her outside easily. But from about 11 weeks she would sleep straight through.

8. emma2309

She's Lola, a Cocker Spaniel :)

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 18.39.36.png Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 18.39.36.png Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 18.39.43.png Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 18.39.52.png

LittleMow, FAW56, Grace Bob and 3 others like this.
  9. emma2309

I'm not sure if she's waking up because she's unsettled or because she's needing the toilet. But either way she gets very upset when she wakes up.

I am thinking having her with us is the best option I'm just trying to figure out the logistics with the toilet.

She's also been ill today and the vet said to keep her indoors so toilet training is now taking a step backwards too ‍♀️

10. puppymadness

11. emma2309

We loved Luna too but we have friends with a Luna so went for Lola :)

12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

No. At her age, her tiny bladder and bowel lack the capacity and control to last overnight. You need to set an alarm to take her out at least once overnight - unless you are a light sleeper and hear her awakening.

13. puppymadness

I would have her with you either upstairs or you downstairs so close to outside. It does get better the puppy stage is hard, Luna is now 6 months and is a joy but there were tears a few months ago.

emma2309 likes this.
  14. emma2309

I know she won't last overnight. I was asking how the toilet part works with having her in our room.
    I'm definitely not a light sleeper, and she's been waking up any time from an hour to 2 and a half hours after bed and then any time after that at least 3 times in the night, so setting an alarm won't help there

15. emma2309

Thank you. I know it gets better, it's just very hard to see that at this stage! :)

16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Apologies, I was on the wrong track. Being close to you at night will help her feel settled. Remember she has just been taken away from he mum and littermates so it will help her settle if she knows you are close by. You can put a hand down to stroke and comfort her if she gets distressed. Please don't ignore her, you wouldn't ignore a crying child and leave her in an empty room.

Comforting her when she is distressed is fine and will strengthen your bond. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left in the crate (or alone, or whatever is causing the crying) is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit.

Gradually you can start moving the crate away to outside the bedroom door, near the room you want her to sleep in, and eventually into that room. With puppies learning, everything is done in little steps, and if anything starts to fail, you go back a step and stay there longer.

lullabydream likes this.
  17. emma2309

Thank you. That does make sense, it's just all very confusing! I had a puppy previously but she slept through on her own after the first night so totally wasn't prepared for this!

I think we'll try a crate in our room tonight. I'm just unsure how I'll know the difference between a cry that just needs settling, and one that's for the toilet, so I'll be up and down all night

JoanneF likes this.
  18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Welcome Lola, what a little sweetheart :)

19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

She is so cute my goodness!

I always keep mine in with me but I'm a light sleeper so when they start sniffling I wake up. If you set an alarm hopefully she will get in routine.

Loki slept through without needing the toilet quite early on honestly he has an iron bladder.

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  20. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Congratulations on your pup she's gorgeous!
    We did the sleep downstairs on the sofa thing for the first few weeks as it was easier for toilet training, so no crying, we had pads down in the kitchen (breeder had been using them so he was used to them). We took it in turns so that we both got some sleep! It might seem a bit extreme but it seems to help with settling down and them being secure. Eventually we took him up to bed with us and he slept through for the first night! Of course we had some accidents, he's not perfect by any means, but we have a dog that is now clean, settles at night on the floor at the foot of the bed (or on the bed) so worth a few weeks of discomfort.
    Good luck with your night time routine and I hope you manage to get some sleep x;)

Boxer123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice