UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey...

All though we only bought our 8 week old Jack Russell on the 4th of this month we are having problems with his toileting. We are having to toilet train him inside at the moment as he has only had his first jab, and we have two other dogs downstairs. He will get into his litter tray sit there for a minute then he will get out and do his business elsewhere, when he does this we do not say anything we just move him into his tray then praise him but it's not working he is still intent on going near his litter tray. We have brought him lots of toys to chew on but he's already starting to try to attack our feet!!! and shows little interest in his toys. oh and one more thing lol the barking yes he is a Jack Russell and as alot of people know they are yappy but how can we train him not to bark?

Looking forward to hearing back from someone that can help before we loose control of his behaviour completely.....As I said I do know it's still very early days but i'm pretty sure there is more that we can do.
= D

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
You've had him a couple of days? Congrats on your new pup!

Are your other dogs up-to-date on their boosters? If so, you should be absolutely fine to take your pup into the garden to begin toilet training. It does not make sense to toilet train a puppy using a litter tray or puppy pads only to then retrain them to use the garden.

The toys on their on won't be interesting as they are cold inanimate objects. Your feet meanwhile are warm, moving, possibly smelly objects. You need to create interest by playing with the toys which will encourage him to play with you and the toys.

You can't train a Jack Russell not to bark. This is something you'll get used to. As he gets older he might possibly bark less, but he definitely won't stop barking altogether. He's a Jack Russell! LOL :)

What are your other 2 other dogs and what attracted you to the Jack Russell this time around? As much as I love them I couldn't cope with one - they need way more exercise than I am able to give LOL.

:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you he's a little bit cute lol. The other two dogs are also Jack Russell's they are owned by the people we live with who are away at the moment so cannot ask if they are up to date with their boosters. They are back tomorrow so we can ask and hopefully start taking him into the garden which would make loads of difference as it obviously not ideal having him do his stuff in our room. Were having to take it in turns through the night so that someone is always with him which i'm guessing is going to cause problems when it comes to leaving him on his own. Me and my other half are both young and quite energetic people so we looked around and fell in love with Shadow. But as you said he is a Jack after all!! so I'm not sure what we have let ourselves in for lol. At the moment we are feeding him 4 times a day swapping between fresh chicken biscuits and wet food do you think we should only be feeding him one or the other? I obviously don't want to upset his tummy.
Looking forward to hearing back from you .
:laugh:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Feeding 4 times a day at this age is normal. The most important thing regards diet is for you to decide what you can commit to for the rest of his life. If you plan to have him on a dry complete food when he's an adult you will have problems if you spoil him with fresh chicken everyday right now. ;) Adding some fresh chicken to his dried food would be fine as you can gradually reduce it.

However, if it were me, I would keep the fresh chicken back as a "high value food reward" to be used during training. You really need something rather special in your hand when you begin training with your pup (as a lure) and if he gets chicken for dinner I'm not sure what you could use for training - maybe some caviar and champagne? LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true but you never know champagne could work wish I was rewarded with champagne lol. Erm yeah I guess so think I will stick with meat and biscuits. do you have any training tips? I think he's getting to know his name now he will come when we call him (most of the time!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Puppypads are very useful if you have to leave your pup and there is no one in to let him out. The best way to toilet train your JRT is by watching for the sign that he is going to do the toilet and put him outside before he does it in the house. Praise him and give him a treat eachtime.

Let your pup out every half hour until you establish how often he needs to go. My dog as a puppy was ready to toilet 20 minutes after eating.

As for the barking, it's normal for a JRTerrior. You can teach him when he is older to speak on command using treats and a clicker. Just say speak when he barks, click and treat so he associates the bark with the word and keep doing it until it's second nature.

Good luck and enjoy your new pup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.