Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy help, mouthing/biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tayla2000, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Tayla2000

Tayla2000 PetForums Newbie

Hi, new here.
    Brought my 8 week old saluki home last Friday and since then all he’s done is mouth, it’s getting very painful and my kids are too scared to play with him now as am I after a few nasty ones. I have literally tried a million different ways to get this to stop;
    I’ve tried to redirect him towards a toy and he ignores the toys to go for my hand,
    I’ve tried to stand up and ignore him/leave the room to show him I will not play if he bites hard to which he grabs at my clothing, ankles or legs.
    I’ve tried to calm him down by issuing a sit command followed by a treat but he’s not interested in treats and still bites.
    I have tried blowing a dog whistle, clapping, yelping as if I’m in pain, even banging pots and pans to get him to release my arm as once he grabs on he doesn’t let go.
    while doing this he wags his tail and jumps about playfully so I don’t feel as though he’s doing it out of aggression but I’m at a loss on what to do...I know he’s only a puppy and mouthing is something he’ll do but it’s just too much, can’t even stroke him or pick him up anymore...
    he sleeps at night fine as he’s fully crate trained now, he toilets very well outside, he allows me to touch him and his food during feeding times. It’s like he goes deaf and blind once’s he’s decided to start biting and will literally go for any part of the body he can get to, if I pick him during this he goes for my face.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d stop “blowing a dog whistle, clapping, yelping as if I’m in pain, even banging pots and pans to get him to release my arm” straight away as that could excite him more or create fear and anxiety.

Sighthounds are quite sensitive and any such methods would really upset my Jack (grey x saluki).

If you’ve only had him a week, you’re trying too many different things anyway. Pick something (non aversive) and stick with it.

I’d install a baby gate and just get up calmly and leave the room.

Re enter calmly once he’s settled.

If he starts again, rinse and repeat, consistently .... every time.

He will eventually understand that teeth on skin stops the play or interaction.

“he allows me to touch him and his food during feeding times.”

There is no need to do this. Leave him alone to eat in peace. In fact, it could backfire and make him feel he needs to guard his food.

LydiaC, Twiggy, ShibaPup and 6 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Take a look in the Puppy support thread

Lots of tips, info and shared experiences from other puppy owners in there, which might be helpful ;)

LydiaC and LinznMilly like this.
  4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

It's been 4 days, you need to be consistent & patient, he's just a little baby.

I suggest sticking to your first 3 options of redirecting onto a toy, stopping play & standing/folding arms when teeth meet skin & short 'time outs' where you leave the room.

It won't happen in the course of a long weekend & may take weeks, but he will learn.

Definitely stop using methods to try & startle him into stopping, you'll just potentially end up with a nervous wreck of a dog, especially a sensitive breed like he is.

I would also avoid squeaking or yelping when he bites, IME with my own prey driven dogs they just become more aroused.

5. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Our puppy is now 5 and a half month and still mouths occasionally. Its natural and he thinks hes playing with you. Ours definitely brought me to tears a few times with his biting when he was smaller. You just have to be consistent, show him what he can play with and that he gets ignored when he bites. Also make sure that you play with him with toys, not just with your hands. And be aware that puppies tend to get super bitey when over tired, lots of naps needed! It will stop eventually but probably not super quickly!

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Our Mali mix still mouths when over excited sometimes, the difference is at least she doesn't bruise now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice