Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy help - crying during the day

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Megan Ormerod, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Megan Ormerod

Megan Ormerod PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We’ve had our bedlington whippet puppy a week a half now. After a few first rocky nights she now settles really well in her crate at bedtime, no fuss. During the day she has the run of the kitchen (inc crate, separate cosy bed, lots of toys, water etc.), I am working for home and sit at the dining table. There is a baby gate between the two rooms and she can see me. When I leave after play time she cries and barks for about 10/15 minutes, sometimes longer. I do lots of positive reinforcements, go back and in and treats when she is quiet etc., but it seems to be a habit we are struggling to break.

Any ideas or is there something I’m doing wrong? Or will she simply grow out of it...?

Thanks in advance!

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF.

Why do you have a baby gate, can't you let her in the same room while your working, you'll find once they have a run round puppies will sleep most of the time.

What's her name and pictures please.:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Megan Ormerod

Megan Ormerod PetForums Newbie

Hi!

Downstairs is open plan so it’s a bit difficult to keep an eye on her with toilet trips and not chewing the wrong things etc. I was hoping the kitchen could be a bit of a safe location for her that was quite large so she doesn’t feel ‘penned in’ and she’d be happy to spend time in on her own. Perhaps too optimistic? It’s not for long term, definitely a believer of them having free run, just a bit difficult at the minute with her being so young.

She’s called Hetty! Pictures below

Attached Files:

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think expecting her to settle down and sleep while you work is a bit unrealistic at this stage, you've only had her a few days and she's just a baby.
    You need to teach her how to settle on her own, there's no instant fix and it will take her a while. A tasty chew or frozen Kong will help her relax, licking and chewing are great stress and boredom busters.
    The 'flitting game' will help her get used to being on her own - take it slowly.
    https://www.facebook.com/PolitePaws...t-to-get-your-puppy-comfort/2170406046403586/

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Can you set up a pen or puppy-proof your office so that she can be in there with you?

Sarah H, DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Where is the crate at night? If there were a few rocky nights was she alone? If so, that might mean the crate isn’t such a happy place after all.

She needs company so I’d let her be with me as much as she like right now so she settles fully. Gradually, she will become more independent and able to settle alone as she grows and gets more confident.

lorilu, DaisyBluebell and Boxer123 like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How about a house line?

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Puppies generally want to be with us. I always take a couple of weeks off work to settle them. Even my adult dogs now I’m working at home sit in the room with me I think they would cry if I put them in another room.

Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  9. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Below is my Beddy Whippet Emma. Where did you get Hetty from? Have you applied to join the BeddyWhippet Face Book Page? You will find a lovely friendly bunch of us on there & all the information you may need regarding BW's.
    As for your problem, BW's are the most gregarious of dogs and want to be with you as much as possible & you have only had this tiny baby for such a short time its natural she will want to be with you, its a bonding process. If she can see you in another room she will cry to be with you like a small child would. As Lurcherlad says where do you have the crate at night? Ideally Hetty should be in the bedroom in a crate near to you to start with. Remember she has had the company of her mum and her siblings every night since she was born she would be so unhappy to be suddenly alone except for when you get up to let her out for a pee overnight then to leave her again. The crate would not be a happy place if that is what's happening. If you can not have her in the same room as you with her crate and/or a long line then try her where she is leaving a filled kong in the crate with her then every few hours when you take her out to toilet when you take her back in tell her how wonderful she is when she goes back in her crate each time with a little treat. Its a very slow process & for you and her its only just starting, so take things slowly and think of her as you would a human baby. Check out the Puppy Support Thread sticky at the top of the page for lots of good information.
    As an aside you now have a Lurcher so you need to start training her recall NOW, its the most important thing you will need, if she runs off you will never catch her they are too fast ! When you put her food down call her name before you put the bowl down so she knows she gets something when she comes to you (a puzzle bowl is a good idea to get them eating slowly too) & when she is least expecting it call her name & as soon as she comes to you give her a treat. Emma is 4 in April but I still practice this on a regular basis. Good luck you have the most amazing clever dog possible, they are also mad as a box of frogs!
    Emma 1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice