Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy has very smelly wind!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by KateLauren, Feb 9, 2018.

1. KateLauren

KateLauren PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Our cavalier pup is almost 16 weeks old. When we got him at 8 weeks he had diarhea so was put on a diet of chicken, rice and scrambled egg. Once he firmed up we gradually added in dried food (royal canin puppy). He has now been on solely dried food for two weeks, after 3 or 4 days he started having very smelly wind! And it is constant! Honestly for such a small pup he could clear a room!

Do you think his food isnt agreeing with him? Or is this something that will settle down over time?

2. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

If there's nothing else going on internally, and he's not regularly getting anything else that could be an issue, then yes, the food may very well not suit him.
    Excessive smelly farts are not normal.

wee man likes this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

Yes it is very likely his food. Royal canin is a popular name but poor quality. You would do better to look for a grain free product (this includes no rice !) you may find these grain free foods more expensive , but the quality is so much better and more easily digested, therefore less amount is needed for feeding.
    Take care with treats that contain grain!

4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Could be the food, if you do decide to change make sure you do a gradual change over so as not to upset his tummy even more, I have two Cavalier X's and I feed mine Canagan dried food in the country game variety as Hector can get soft poops if he eats too much chicken/chicken based food, but my two rarely trump on it.

wee man likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice