Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy harnesses recommendations

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by katla, Sep 2, 2020.

1. katla

katla PetForums Junior

I'm getting a working cocker spaniel, so he won't get very big. But I'll be picking him up at 8 weeks old, so he'll have quite a bit of growing to do.

Does anybody have any recommendations for puppy harnesses?

I'm looking for something comfortable and adjustable and preferably affordable :)

New2_4Paws likes this.
  2. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

katla likes this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Get something either cheap, so it doesn't matter when he grows out of it and it needs replacing in a month's time, or something very adjustable that you can keep for a while and just make it bigger every couple of weeks.

Boxer123, Torin. and katla like this.
  4. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

katla likes this.
  5. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

7D233C83-29CD-42B8-ADA8-EDD72DE937BD.jpeg 8F1E1759-7684-4C59-9A64-0D5AFE83DE46.jpeg We had a Doodlebone mesh harness for our labrador when she was little. It was about £15 from the local pet shop so I suspect you can get them cheaper online. When she outgrew it (about a month later!) we bought a halti which is very adjustable and still just about fits her now she’s 10 months old. The halti has been much better value.

katla likes this.
  6. New2_4Paws

New2_4Paws PetForums Newbie

Please can I hijack this thread :) and add my request for your suggestions for a good car harnesses for a growing (12 wk) cocker. He is sick in his crate so I want to try him sitting up on the seat and see if that helps.... any advice?

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

A crate is much safer and better long term. Most puppies are car sick, as he grows you just need to make sure he doesn't have bad associations with the car as this will perpetuate the issue. Feed him his meals in the car, sit in it when it's stationary, basically make him feel like the car is a great place to be so he forgets about feeling sick.

8. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Our dog hates the car crate. She would cry, be sick, and poo every single journey. It was an absolute nightmare. We gave up and decided to buy her a car harness when she was about 5 months old. For us, it was absolutely the best decision, although my first preference would have been a secure crate in the boot. However, seeing as that just didn’t work for us, I researched car harnesses and was disturbed to find that it’s unregulated and the only law is that your dog should be ‘adequately restrained’. What this means is that most car harnesses are untested and would be next to useless in an accident. They just stop your dog climbing into your lap while you’re driving. During an accident an unrestrained dog would become a flying missile of huge mass - at best the dog would be injured, at worst it could cause catastrophic injuries to the driver and any passengers on its way through the windscreen - it really doesn’t bear thinking about. I found a couple of crash tested (in the US) harnesses available in the UK and bought the Kurgo car harness from Amazon. I’ve been really pleased with it - it’s very well made, my dog seems perfectly comfortable, she can lie down or sit up, and most importantly she hasn’t cried or been sick in the car since we started using it. You can watch the Kurgo crash tests on YouTube.

katla and Ellie&cats like this.
  9. katla

katla PetForums Junior

Thank you for all the recommendations - I've book marked all your suggestions! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice