Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Going To The Toilet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kate1234, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Hello guys,
    As you probably know I have a new addition to the family a LABRADOR X COCKER SPANIEL puppy. I am just a bit worried about her because she seems to be needing the toilet every half hour? Is this normal. Another event was I had taken her outside for a toilet, she had done it so praised her and all that. Then took her back inside 5 minutes later urine on the floor!! That was only one occurrence and hasn't done that again yet but she sniffs every 30 minutes and needs taking outside. I am probably just being a very conscious mummy but I need that reassurance or obviously need to get her vet checked if not normal.
    Hope you can help,
    Kate
    Xx

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Can you get a pee sample to take to the vet to be checked in case it's a UTI?

3. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Hello @Lurcherlad,
    I could but I don't think it is UTI.
    Why what are the side effects of it?:oops:
    Thanks
    Kate
    Xx

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm no expert, but overly frequent urination would be an early sign?

5. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Hello,
    Don't worry I understand that you are in no position to make a judgement without seeing her go. (I read the last sticky thread.) The reason I didn't reply quick is took her out she sniffed around for about ten minutes and then did a wee. I looked the side affects up of UTI on tinternet and it said blood in the urine, straining before going to the toilet and stuff like that. She does none of these, she might be in a early stage but I think I have come to the conclusion that it is just because her bladder is too small at 8 weeks to hold herself for long. What is your view on my theory? Does it have any thought out logic at all or maybe it is a bit of hopeful thinking. GOSH I never knew I could get so stressed about something as this. I'm attached to her already.:rolleyes:
    Fingers crossed I'm right,
    Kate
    Xx

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be a UTI, could be juvenile vaginitis, could simply be that she needs to pee that frequently.

Does her vulva appear sore or swollen at all? Have you noticed any unusual discharge?

Id probably sway towards her just needing to pee frequently if its just the odd accident and she is showing no other signs of a problem.

I used to take mine out every 30 mins or so as a puppy, and probably 8/10 times he would urinate. He was a little older than your pup too.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon was the same, weeing over 30 times a day, spoke to the vet who was going to do a blood test after his second injestions, but as soon as we could started to take him out for short walks, it amost stopped and after a few weeks he was clean in the house. We have no idea why.

8. danielled

danielled Guest

Sounds like she has a UTI. The needing to toilet rings loud alarm bells. Could be anything though but do take a sample to the vet.

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

At 8 weeks, I reckon she just needs to pee lots. I don't think every 30 minutes is particularly excessive at that age. Some pups are slow to develop the ability to 'hold it'. If she was a month older then certainly, I'd start considering other things but personally I wouldn't be worried yet.

Lurcherlad and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would get her checked just to be sure but my girl was similar, she could and did pee for england, just relentlessly, all the time, earning her the moniker of P*** monster for the first year of her life :D

11. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Thanks for all the comments and advice, @Lurcherlad @Happy Paws @Nonnie @danielled @McKenzie @MontyMaude
    I'll take a sample just to be certain but I think it is just she has a tiny bladder. Lol.
    I'll let you know the outcome of the test results when I get them back. How long on average does it take to receive the results??
    Kate
    Xx

#11 Kate1234, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Frankthetank

Frankthetank PetForums Newbie

Between 7-12 weeks my boy went to the toilet non stop! Every 30 mins we'd put him outside he would go for a wee then come back in. He would walk through the door play for a minuet then wee and not just one at least 2 and they would be big. I don't know why or even how cause I always presumed his tank was empty! Never underestimate the size of a puppy bladder! He went to my mums and wee'd 8 times in the space of 25 minuets granted he was excited but still that's a lot of tiddle for a small puppy!

He was clean at 12,weeks and since then no more wee inside and he now only goes every few hours and sometimes he just sniffs and comes back in no wee's. If you do get really worried though just give the vet a call and they will soon tell you if you need to bring him in. Xx

13. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Thanks again @Frankthetank
    That makes me feel a little more consoled. I just didn't want her to get a virus when we have only had her for a week.
    What breed is your dog?
    So cute whoever that is in profile picture.
    Kate
    Xx

14. Frankthetank

That's frank he's a chocolate labrador, he's now 8 months so a bit bigger hehe. I'm sure your little one is just an excessive wee'er like frank was at that age. Hopefully she will grow out of it within a few weeks :) advice is don't put down any paper or puppy pads as these tend to encourage pup to wee inside. (What we found any way )
    All the best
    Phoebe. Xxx

15. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Hi Phoebe,
    Yes, I haven't put down any newspaper, puppy pads ect because of that. It was a little hard though because the breeder had trained the pups to go on newspaper, to make it easier to then toilet train. He said keep moving the newspaper closer to the door and then put it outside. The problem was we figured we couldn't keep the newspaper out forever, and when we eventually took it away she wouldn't go outside without it. That's why we didn't even try doing that.
    Then we tried our own method, take her outside when she started obsessively sniffing. But when we took her outside she wouldn't go! Took her back inside... pee on the carpet. We just had to keep telling her that she couldn't go back inside until she had done her business. She is getting there. Not had an accident for two days. She whines now to let us know she needs it.
    Would love to see some pictures of the nearly grown up little boy,
    Kate
    XX

16. Frankthetank

Bless they do like to hang about dilly dallying in the garden! My next door neighbours must think I'm made as I tend to make a high pitched
    " weeeeeeeeeeee" to encourage frank!!

17. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Phoebe,
    You got me giggling now... tried to take her out for a wee the other morning she was still sleepy. Plonked her on the grass encouraging her not quite saying what you say though.:D Fell a sleep on the grass sunbathing. She can be a right plonker!
    Lol.
    Kate
    Xx

18. Frankthetank

hehe
    hehe bless her heart!! What a sweetie! Treasure the sleeply moments while you can as you are about to enter the never ending energy stage! Ohh how we dote on the tiny little fluffs!!
    All the best
    Phoebe
    Xx

Attached Files:

19. Kate1234

Kate1234 Banned

Hello,
    Yes, now we have her I can't even remember and don't want to when we didn't have a dog! Things are about to get a lot worse in the teething stage. She has bitten me and drawn blood a couple of times. I know she doesn't mean it. Somebody is snoring beside me on the sofa right this moment. Cutie!! :p
    Kate
    Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice