Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy getting aggressive

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarbear, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Sarbear

Sarbear PetForums Junior

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendations on how to deal with this. I have a 5 month old Cockapoo who is a little monkey. How can I go about teaching her manners. If my older dog has a toy, she wants it and budges him out the way to get it. If I give them a chewy each, she wants his aswell.

What has worried me slightly is when she has a chewy if anyone dares go anywhere near her she gets aggressive, growls and literally goes for you. My 4 year old Daughter just walked passed her when she had a chewy and she went for her.

How can I deal with this and teach her that this is unacceptable. I currently spray her with water when she is naughty but it doesn't seem to be working on this.

thanks.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Hope your daughter is ok!
    I've never had a food aggressive dog so I feel lucky in that respect.

As such, no personal experience here but just things I've read etc!
    When you give her something to chew on, let her have it for a couple of minutes then go and swap it for something else - offer her something even tastier (maybe a chunk of chicken or a wing etc) and take the chew while she is distracted. Hopefully it should click that being approached while she has a chew is ok, rather than feeling like she has to protect what she has.

If she has a crate, try and make sure she goes in there with a chew, and do NOT let your daughter approach her when she has something - better a wide berth than a nasty bite

With the toy too, if your other dog doesnt tell her off, distract her with a different toy so she leaves him alone :)

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My yorkie was dreadful for that. If she stole from my older dog it got taken off her and she was given her own treat. Now she will only take things if they are left lying around. I wouldn't spray her with water though. I'd also make sure that they have a quiet place to eat away from your daughter or not give them a chew if she is around.

4. Sarbear

Sarbear PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, i will give them a go.

My older dog is a Shih Tzu and he will be 9 on Sunday. He has been a golden dog and tbh I didn't expect Lucie my Cockerpoo to be so naughty - how daft was I. The water spray was recommended to me by the trainer at the Puppy classes I went to, and it has been a life saver - she is very naughty.

5. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I used to drop tasty things for kiva while she was eating when she was little....like if she was eating food out of a bowl I would walk up and just drop some pieces of hot dog and walk away, it got her used to associating people near her while eating as a good thing, and that they weren't trying to steal anything, she actually got extra yummy bits! Hand feeding can help too I think? But I would maybe give your older dog a quiet area to eat his food/treats. You can play "swap" games too, I personally prefer to get them used to either swapping or just associating people near them while eating as an ok experience, rather than trying to get them used to you just taking things from them. And I wouldn't use water either, but thats my personal preference :)

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

#6 paddyjulie, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice