Puppy German Shepherd Show Adivce

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Andrew Wallis, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Andrew Wallis

Andrew Wallis PetForums Newbie

Hi All!
    This is my 1st ever post so lets see how it goes.

I have a 3.5 month old German shepherd purchased from kennels well known for producing fantastic show dogs (Von Bad Boll).
    I am hoping to experience showing him and see how far he goes however i have seen posts that state you look at your dog with mothers eyes and will be disheartened to find your dog isn't show worthy!

My only concern is that he has white patch on his chest and very small white mark on his rear feet. Will this affect his eligibility to be shown... if not then does this affect the scoring system?(Pictures attached)

I have signed him up to puppy obedience classes for 8 weeks. is there anything i need to know prior to signing him up to shows.

also i have heard that a dogs diet can affect his coat colour! i understand it can affect coat quality but the colour! is this true?

I have had problems with his diet as i have him on Hills Science Plan wet food as he outright refuses dry food! i consulted the vets and was told shepherds are stubborn and will try get something tastier than his food so he wont eat and to be stubborn and lift the food after 15 minutes. this only led to my pup not eating for 3 days so i couldnt take any more and placed him on wet food. I attempted to mix his wet with dry food but if he sniffs even a small amount, he will turn it away. but he licks the bowl clean with wet food alone which is costing me arm and a leg! Pain in the a**!
    Ive tried a difference brand (Arden Grange) but nothing changed!

Any advice will be fantastic! :)

Attached Files:

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

A GSD changes colour quite a lot in the first year or so and I would not worry about a small white mark.

There is no scoring system per se in breed shows in the UK except in the British Sieger, however if you enter FCI shows there is a form of scoring there.

The major problem in showing GSD in the UK is that there are two different schools and so you need to know what judges prefer which and not bother to enter under "English" if you have a "German" and vice versa.

Hopefully you have a breed/show mentor?

A dog will eat what is available and if nothing is available bar dry he will eat that, and GSD are not stubborn (nor is any other breed that I have met).

Many breeders swear by feeding Olewo carrots to maintain the rich red colour of their dogs carotene can change the pigment of skin certainly in humans.

Showing GSD is different than other breeds and so you may find it useful to join a GSD club such as BAGSD or GSDL

Andrew Wallis likes this.
  3. Deezel

Deezel PetForums Newbie

4. Deezel

Deezel PetForums Newbie

We have a 16 month gsd that also came from excellent breeder.He has always been fed on raw meat from the butchers.We give him gsd Royal canin biscuits soaked with little bit of egg or sardines separately.so - Royal canin in the mornings and meat in the evening.we were advised not to mix the biscuit with the meat as they stick together.always had this diet and has a beautiful coat!Lovely pictures by the way!

Andrew Wallis likes this.
  5. Andrew Wallis

Andrew Wallis PetForums Newbie

Thank you Deezel.

Now that ive got him eating im reluctant to change this again as i dont want to upset his belly anymore. i just want to make sure he gets everything he can out of his diet to support his growth and keep him at peak health. i may add carrots as instructed by some breeders and egg for extra protein. but i wont want to completely change his food again. do you mind posting a pic of your GSD! im a bit mad for a good GSD :)

Thanks Again!