Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Free Feeding & Toilet Training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Polimba, May 25, 2010.

1. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Has anyone feedfed their puppy and toilet trained quickly?

Our neighbours (and friends) have a 6 month old puppy and she's still messing in her crate and the house regularly. They are free feeding (they have an adult dog on the same food) and I wondered if this isn't helping? I've tried to suggest maybe it's not helping, but obviously it's their puppy and I don't want to interfere.

I'm a novie dog owner and have a different breed but Zimba is like clockwork with his poos, you can set your watch by it :lol: He's always been fed at the same time each day and not had an accident since he was about 12 weeks.

I just wondered how much of a difference it made?

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

No sorry, I feed mine set meals, I'm sure someone will come along soon to offer better advice!!

All the best xx

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine had set times as a pup but went on hunger strike a couple of times (long story, just decided she didnt like it anymore and waited for something better to come along) so I started putting down her quota in the mornings and leaving it. She helps herself and it was amazing how initially it would take 3 sittings to finish it, then as she got older 2 and now she has most as one meal in the eve.

As a pup on her 3 meals she poohed more often but now she grazes, its twice a day.

4. leashedForLife

random meals = random stools... and random URINE as the full-stomach stimulates the bladder.
    its a terrible combo, IMO + IME thru my clients; none of my dogs ate a meal at any old time, especially when housetraining -
    but some clients have attempted it; none succeeded - yet.

5. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

not necessarily Terry.... wild animals eat randomly depending on the hunt and the kill, admittedly it doesnt matter where they go to the loo afterward, so there is no reason to suggest that this method of feeding isnt appropriate.... scheduled feeds just make it easier for us humans to predict the expulsions and thus condition the dog as to where it is expected to perform the function. to successfully toilet train a litter of puppies, or even one puppy, which is free feeding takes patience, acute observation skills and an indepth knowledge of the pup/puppies behaviour traits. all of my spaniels were free fed and toilet trained by 3 months old.

6. leashedForLife

hey, mum! :--)
    this is house-training domestic-dog pups :lol: not talking about free-feeding captive lion-cubs in a 1-acre compound. :p
    yes! :thumbup: and isn;t that the point? ;)
    have U never noticed just how much time we waste on PF-uk, talking about house-training pups + dogs?
    or litter-box problems with cats? :lol: if there is anything that SHOULD be simpler, i cannot think of it;
    yet it eludes evidently dozens of pet-owners. :huh:

congratulations on Ur spaniels - but IMO, adding any further complications to house-training, like random-eating,
    is frankly masochistic. :p since ordinary APOs seem to find it difficult ANYHOW, why make it harder?

i never suggest that when dealing with a complex scheduling-task, shooting oneself in the foot will help. :rolleyes:
    cheers,
    --- terry

#6 leashedForLife, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

:lol::lol::lol: Terry.... i wish you lived closer.... i reckon you and i could have some real interesting debates.... we seem to both sing from the same hymn sheet but on different pages... :lol::lol::lol:

8. leashedForLife

aint it the truth :lol: :thumbup:
    please tell me U don;t think CM/DW is DoGs gift to dogs? :huh: :yikes: please?! :p

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I free fed my last litter from weaning. All were housetrained (poo only) at 5 weeks. All were trained to wee on paper by 7 weeks. I always free feed pups. I've never had a problem with housetraining. (mind you I am a control freak and watch every move a pup makes lol)

10. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

we have free fed Alfie from 8 wks,with no problems whatsoever,he was house trained almost instantly,cannot complain at all,:cool:

11. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies. It seems to e successful you have to watch like a hawk and maybe that's not happening in this case.

It's interesting though, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice