Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lifequotes, May 17, 2017.

1. lifequotes

lifequotes *that 2017 feeling*

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and my name is Lia, I am 23 years old. Want to know about what I do and stuff look at my profile page information.

So me and my boyfriend have just got a Miniature Jack Russell puppy and was wondering what the best food was to feed your pup? She has been weaned onto Royal Canin but I would like to change as I don't like the fact that it doesn't show the percentage of each ingredient on the back its just lists. Obviously anyone who feeds their dog on Royal Canin not wanting to offend or anything its just individual people believe and want different things for their pet. Any recommendations? I will hopefully be posting pictures soon. Lia xx

P.S. Not saying I actually believe in the breeding of miniature dogs. Its actually my friend's dog and she decided she didn't want it any more because the puppy was biting her. I explained it was teething and she wasn't listening, think it was just an excuse to be honest. She was looking for someone to take it off her hands. After that me and her just don't get on.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Depends entirely on what suits your pup, your budget and your ethics (if thats the right word lol).
    Is it a dry or a wet you are wanting?
    There's a list for each in the nutrition section, which are brilliant and useful!

The dry foods my lot are on at the moment are Step Up and Evolution.

3. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

4. lifequotes

@BlueJay
    Preferably dry food please.
    I was looking on the internet on best dog foods. Lots of people and vets have been recommending Lilly's Kitchen Puppy any of you got experience?
    Lia
    xx

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Mine eat most things to be fair haha - we cycle through a lot of different stuff, depending whats on offer!
    They've had Lily's before (dry and wet) and do well on it. It's a good food; pretty expensive but with only one dog that's likely not much of an issue :)

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

I shall get our soon to arrive puppy on Orijen Dry Puppy as soon as I can. The breeder feeds a raw food diet & I have checked out Nutrigent & Luna & Me raw food diets which I may start her off with first before the transition. CHeck those out.

7. lifequotes

I think I'll try her on that. Anyway the money is not a issue as i'd rather know she is on a good food. How do I approach weaning her onto this now?
    I've asked many people and they have all been different ways that worked for them, was wondering what you guys think is the most effective way.
    Thanks @BlueJay Lia xx

P.S. @DaisyBluebell I will read up on the raw diet. Will give you my opinion soon. x

8. BrightOwl

BrightOwl PetForums Newbie

We've been feeding our sheltie pup on Lily's Kitchen dry puppy food - he seems to like it, especially now he's nearly 14 weeks and losing that puppy fussiness (we put a little hot water on it, too, to make it extra appetising). :) He's growing well, seems healthy and no digestive problems at all, so we're sticking with it for now.

When it comes to transitioning from another food, he was weaned onto Pedigree dry puppy food, and came to us with a bag, so he's actually had a little of that mixed in since he came to us; we started feeding him just on the Pedigree, then added a little LK, then gradually (over a week or two) changed the ratio so it was mostly LK with a little Pedigree thrown in.

9. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Star has wainwrights salmon and sweet potato dry food with a tiny but of wainwrights wet food made into a gravy as she's a bit fussy

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

To change over food for puppies gently,
    its usually best to do it
    5 days..75% original food 25% new food
    5 days 50% original food 50% new food
    5 days 25 % original food 75% new food
    Then fully on new food if all goes well.

If you hit a snag, say poo is slightly loose then it may be you are over feeding the new food, and it might be you need slightly less of lilys kitchen than the old food anyway...so 50% of each food in the bowl looks like your are still feeding a lot more of the old food when technically you are not.

My dogs do well on Lilys kitchen, I rotate Lilys with a few other foods and I can tell when they have it. I personally think its overpriced in some respect, however that balances out with their customer service and delivery from their website is usually superfast. So if you are happy with it, it suits your budget lifestyle and your dog go for it.

Just so you are aware, all adult food in the range is suitable to feed puppies. I am talking dry food. It says on the packaging, which means the calcium phosphorus ratio which is the important part of puppy food is correct. The protein level may not be as high.

11. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

My puppy was weaned on raw complete formula (from Nutriment.co to be specific) at the breeders and I've continued it. Not sure if raw is something that you'll want to consider at all, but in terms of price it's really cheap.

I use Lily's Kitchen wet food as one of the stuffing for my puppy's Kong. He absolutely loves it and has never had problems with it. Although he doesn't have that every day. I've heard lots of positive things about that brand :)

12. lifequotes

Thank you everyone for all your support, I have read all the posts and I think I will go for @lullabydream 's method on weaning. Its good to hear all these great comments on Lily's Kitchen, I think I have decided on the right food for her. I will look into the raw diet thing, but I think I have decided on dry. She doesn't seem to be a fussy eater but we will see.

It was absolute hell last night she whined so badly for about an hour it felt like eternity. I felt really cruel but I stuck to my guns and didn't go downstairs. I don't see why she was whining so much, since she loves her crate and actually volunteered herself to sleep in it! Me and my boyfriend are taking turns to take her out in the night for a "go quick". We have settled for every 2 and a half hours cause she can hold it for 3. Is this ok? Is there anything I may need to change?

13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't leave her to cry, and especially at night and in her crate.

Is it possible to move the crate upstairs for night time or you to sleep downstairs, to give reassurance? This usually helps, and tough love for crying really in this scenario isn't the way to go. I am all for tough love for feeding, so not to create a fussy eater, as they are usually made and not born, but for puppies and crates...you can soon make a puppy less confident, remember they really are babies. They have list everything and everyone they are familiar with, and it takes a lot of time to build up confidence to be left.

It can cause issues where they resent the crate too, and crates are such useful tools for the safety aspect, keeping a puppy from harm too.

lifequotes likes this.
  14. lifequotes

Thank you for this imput, I do feel mean and definitely do not want her to associate her crate with a bad place. I will move her crate up to my bedroom until she settles in and will let you all know how it goes.

I have looked into raw feeding and would rather stick to dry as this is what she has always been fed on and I don't like the sound of the bacteria that can be caught be humans in the raw meat and the potential for whole bones to choke an animal, break teeth or cause an internal puncture! Is this true? This piece of information came from a website called Pet WebDM.

I will be posting another thread on choosing a name for the little puppy so please comment on that. Lia xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice