Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by simonehadland2009, Oct 27, 2012.

1. simonehadland2009

simonehadland2009 PetForums Member

hi

i have just recently got a lurcher puppy he will be 10 weeks on thursday i am just wondering if anyone could advice me on the best puppy for him so he doesn't get the runs i wasn't given any food with him. so i have had him on bakers complete puppy but it seems to have made him a bit soft.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF! Your puppy is beautiful.

Bakers will be making him soft because it's terrible food :eek: have a look at the Dry food index in the health and nutrition section, it's really helpful! Theres also raw and wet food if you are interested in feeding those. :)

3. Ariana1985

Ariana1985 PetForums Member

Personaly i would stay off Bakers -there are far to many bad ingridients
    Best is to feed your dog best food that you can afford
    I started my pup in nature diet and nature harvest (wet food)-it made her white coat shiny -and silky smooth .due to food allergies i had to change food to hypoallergic one -but it made me more aware on what companies actually put in a dog food
    Now shes on james wellbeloved (some dogs dont agree with the foods-as there are no brands to be good for all) what i would sugest is try different brands -but when you change do it gradualy , not to upset puppy tummy .
    Also look on how much % of whole food is meat . Avoid anything with wheat -and sadly most of supermarket brands do use it to "bulk it up"
    Sorry for any mystakes or gramma but im Polish ;-)

#3 Ariana1985, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  4. simonehadland2009

thanks very much i was going to try him on beta or proplus just wondering if anyone has used any of these before and what they thought i don't really want to put him on tinned meat as my other dog is not allowed it and could cause arguments at tea time lol

1 person likes this.
  5. Beta isn`t a ton better
    Here is the ingredients in their puppy formula
    Cereals (min. 4% Rice), Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Lamb), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (min. 0.5% Beet Pulp), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Minerals, Vegetables (Min 0.5% Chicory).

First ingredient tends to be what the bulk of the food is. In this case its "Cereals" which could mean anything. Then its Meat and Animal Derivatives which means it doesn`t have to be lamb meat it could be lamb tongue or lamb hoof, they aren`t that bad but you get my gist it just isn`t specific enough for me because they can put pretty much anything in there. Then the list goes on.. Its better than Bakers anything is; however its not the best and there is much better for the price.
    15kg of Beta is £36.99

Lets look at Arden Grange for example
    Fresh chicken (18%), chicken meat meal (18%), rice, maize, beet pulp, chicken oil, whole dried egg, yeast, fish meal, chicken digest, linseed, fish oil, prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, cranberries, yucca extract, glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, nucleotides.

Fresh chicken is mainly water so thats about 6% meat (just a rough guess) then there is chicken meal which is much better. So about 24% meat. Then there is rice it is still a filler but considered one of the "good" fillers although not specified here brown is better than white. Maize is corn which is difficult for dogs to digest but if your dog doesn`t have an allergy to it then you could get away with it. The list goes on but you get my gist. Arden Grange is MUCH better than Beta and it is
    £38.30 for 12kg. Just a few quid more than Beta and although the bag is smaller it will last longer because its better they need less

If you really want to go best but for cheap there is Simpsons Premium Sensitive
    The ingredients is

Deboned Salmon*, Dried Salmon*, Potato, Sunflower Oil, Beet Pulp, Potato Protein, Dried Egg, Salmon Oil, Salmon Stock, Vitamins, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Linseeds, Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Yucca Extract, Cranberries, Nucleotides, Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin.

The star means 45% salmon BUT it is fresh so less, then there is dried salmon which contains all the meat. It contains about 30% meat. Potato is gentle on digestion and much better than grains. It is completely grain free so easier for dogs to digest and many dogs thrive on a completely grain free diet.
    Price?
    12 kilos £38.95
    As above you feed less so it lasts longer and actually works out cheaper :)

Best of luck here are the links
    Puppy Sensitive Salmon & Potato
    Nutritional Premium Dog and Cat Food - Arden Grange

6. simonehadland2009

hmmm that is very interesting thanks puppy mum, i have always had dogs but to be fair i have never looked at their foods that closely now with the pup i am obvisually having to. very interesting can see having this pup is going to be a learning curve for all of us

7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

If you are on a budget then consider CSJ or Simpsons Premium.

Not brilliant, but a lot better then Bakers
    Champ! Adult - CSJ Champ! - CSJK9 Ltd.

Better than the champ and bakers
    That'll Do! - CSJ Original Dog Food - CSJK9 Ltd.

Better than all of the above
    Adult Chicken & Rice

I have fed all of these foods in the past (currently feed the Simpsons). The 'That'll do' didn't go down too well - just my dogs tastes though! There are other higher quality brands out there, but all of these are certainly better than the Bakers!

8. Its never too late to learn ;)

9. simonehadland2009

thanks puppy mum, i love my dogs nearly as much as i love my kids although some days i have to say i love the dogs more than a 2 and half yr old lmao. defo going to get some better dog food now for them though might help my labrador x keep her weight on in the winter aswell

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice