Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Montys_Mum, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Hi! Need advice.

I have read a lot on puppy food and feeding on here, and even tried to assist other people :)

We are having a few issues with our Basset pup and being a fussy eater. We do the time limited feeding thing (a short while to eat and then food removed), but this doesn't seem to always work. He'll have a couple of mouthfuls (if that) and wanders off.

This has been going on for a little while now. He hasn't had 2 full meals a day for about a week, and it is worrying me.

He gets a kong and some chews for during the day (when we are out), so I know he isn't starving (as he eats that), but I don't want his puppy development to suffer.

We have gone through lots of different types of food. He has a large dry pet food container (like a bin on wheels which seals closed), with a variety of dry food brands all mixed up (because we have tried so many!). He gets some of that, and some wet food all mixed together twice a day.

We aren't made of money so can't afford to keep him on the really expensive stuff.

He has been on: Pedigree (dry and wet), Wainwrights (wet), Butchers (wet), Bakers (dry), Eukanuba (dry), JWB (dry). He was on JWB with a pedigree wet mix for ages and seemed fine on that, then I think we treated him to our scraps too much and everything changed (that coupled with suspected teething).

He'll eat for a meal or two and then stop, I change the brand and he eats fine for a few meals, and the same thing happens.

We will be sticking to the time limited feeding, as this has had some success and we know it's the right thing to do.

However I want to make sure we are doing this with the right food. As I said we aren't made of money. Bakers and Pedigree are good value for money, but are they the right quality for a growing large breed puppy? I worry that maybe they aren't?

We haven't tried him on Wagg food, but he loves their baked treats and were considering using that. Is their food good quality for the price? Wagg Complete Puppy 12Kg - £13.79

I think I have become more paranoid the more I read threads on this forum lol, and am worried about things like bloat in later life. I've read that smaller biscuit pieces are bad so now I am worried about that!

I have heard about the really good quality stuff on here, but it's rather too expensive. So any help on the mid-priced stuff would be good :)

Sorry for going over old-ground, especially as I thought we'd got him sorted! He no longer gets scraps from the table and we only part fill the kong. He only gets treats for good training and recall work. He drinks plenty. Seems healthy and happy.

Our vets sell and recommend Salters, but on the occasion we had some at home (a small trial packet), he didn't really like it. And I found that to be pretty expensive too.

(Oh we won't use Iams due to an issue with their food causing one of our cats a kidney problem and was advised by our vet at the time that Iams was known to cause these sort of issues. Not sure if they have yet fixed the problem, but I won't trust them!)

2. Montys_Mum

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I think you're worrying too much to be honest.

Give him a couple of days and he'll end up eating the food you already have for him. Just leave it down, and then pick it up. No scraps, no wet food, just kibble.
    My puppy was exactly the same. He had to learn that dry food is a perfectly acceptable food. Wet food and scraps are a luxury. ;)

Brand wise, I can't comment as I feed Royal Canin, but I hear Wainwrights is the nearest if you're on a budget. A few people here have also said that Skinners food is good for a budget too.

:)

4. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I had the same issue with fuss pot. The guy I got him gave us some of the food he had been using and he wouldn't touch it!

Now I use AMP raw meat and mix that over his biscuits. He wolfs it down.

You can get it from Pets at Home, in the freezers. Just meat, no additives.

5. Montys_Mum

Thank you both. I think you are right. I do over worry! He is our first puppy and I fuss over him too much I think.

I'll look up those suggestions. We do use Pets at Home and also an independent pet store, so I'll check them both out.

Vet always says Monty is in good condition, right weight etc. So I guess we will continue to persevere :) Just wish the little tyke would eat everything up properly! He used to, until about a month or so ago when he decided to get fussy. I think I was partly to blame in the fussiness.

I don't let our cats get away with it! lol I'm just too soft on those big eyes of his lol

Thanks again, it's good to get some different brands and tips, and also to get some reassurance.

6. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Something I have learned too is that they might just NOT be hungry. Very strange, yes, but sometimes Rupert just doesn't want to eat. Usually when nanna has been giving him bits of beef at her house! :rolleyes:

But I would, seriously, give the AMP products a try. Someone recommended them to me on the thread I started the other day about raw feeding. Brilliant way to start him on a raw diet. He gets that and a small hand full of pets at home puppy complete. He gets 15 minutes to eat that at about 6 in the morning, when I get up, then its taken off him, and he gets the remainder at about 10 when the OH gets up. That way we can monitor him going the loo as it takes him roughly 45-60 mins to work it through.

I do the same in the evening although tonight I'm going to see if he'll eat a chicken drumstick. :thumbup:

7. Montys_Mum

Definitely seems like a good alternative to wet food. So maybe a mix of that with biscuit sounds like a good way to go :)

I'm stopping at the pet store on the way home after work :)

8. rat addict

rat addict PetForums Newbie

we use wagg with our boys, we used the puppy to start with then nine months old we mixed the puppy food with the adult then when the puppy food runs out they are used to it, no upset tums!

9. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL.

I was the same. Paddy is my first dog and I got him as a 10 week old bundle of fluff last year. He's now a hefty 43KG!

My cats never got away with it in the 10 years previous so I have no idea why I was so worried with the dog! Like you said, it must be those big brown eyes. ;)

10. Montys_Mum

Glad to hear Wagg worked well, might try it with the AMP.

Oh also that I am not alone in being fussing over a puppy! hehehe

Thank you everyone :)

11. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

My dg was exactly the same, it's so hard not to give in and keep changing it, but I found the more I changed it the more I stressed and the more she fussed. :rolleyes: :D

I found the being strong, only feedig dry for a bit so that it didn't waste and picking it up after 15 minutes then no other food/treats/chews til the next meal worked and it's what I do now. Evil cow that I am :thumbup:

JWB is a good quality food for not much money, I have fed Wagg in the past and friends dogs seem to do well on it. :)

12. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

my pup did this since i changed him over to CSJ he has been no bother, and at 10pounds for 15kg its not a bad price either

13. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

as for JWB it has changed hands and now has a lot of sugar added, which was driving my pup hyper

14. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Our Holly gets half Skinners puppy kibble and half Natural Instinct puppy raw. She wolfs it down. She's not keen on dry kibble fully, and once she gets to 12 months and me and the OH have moved out together she will be getting fully raw.

15. Montys_Mum

CSJ?

About to leave for pet store! lol

(Appreciate all the posts here, thank you everyone!)

16. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Please don't feed wagg, it's god awful, like bedigree, bakers etc there's very little actuall dog food in it. Both Skinners (duck and rice or salmon and rice) and AG lamb and rice are only abput £10 more than wagg and are vastly, vastly superior quality. JWB aint what it used to be since the take over. Others to look at are Fish4dogs (excellent food, about £28 a bag at VetUk, Vitalin do a gluten free food too. JWB ain't what it used to be, so my personally I'd stay away. Generally the supermarket foods are awful. Pets at omes own brand weinwright is good stuff, maybe try that.

Pick one good quality food and stick to it, if you've a box full of different kibble, what will you do when that runs out? Of he's started to eat, changing his food might set him back.

Also, you need to stop giving him treats, his kong etc. As long as he's still getting those he wont be to bothered about eating his main meals as he'll know he's got his treats coming. You need to teach him he eats his dry food or he gets nothing at all. If you stopp all other food and stick to limited meal times you should hopefully have a dog happily eating soon. It'll be harder for you than it is for him, but if you give in and give treats, he'll just carry on.

If you add wet food only do this if you intend to do it all the time. Might be an idea since some dogs just don't like dry on it's own. Good wet foods include naturediet, nauturesmenu, weinwrights.

Good luck, keep us informed.

17. Montys_Mum

He gets a kong only if we are out of the house for a long period of time, e.g. working. But I only put chicken, baked treats and puppy kong stuffing in it. I might try to phase it out though.

We use wet and dry mix as he doesn't seem to get on with dry only, although we will try it again.

I'd love to feed him the expensive stuff, but things are soooo hard at the moment. Hence looking around for a more affordable choice.

Purina Beta got some good reviews (and some mixed reviews of course!). So considering that now.

There is such a wide range to chose from!

18. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

CSJ have a website you will have to go on to see if theres a retailer in your area or you can buy it online, Wagg is made very near to us and alot of people use it there wikll be alot better and probebly alot worse you can only buy what your budget will allow.:rolleyes:

19. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

You really need to just stop the kong and the treats. He wont eat whilst there's other stuff available. I know it sounds harsh, but until he's eating properly it really is best for him.

Mine wouldn't eat dry on it' own either.

Acording to google shopping purina one bets is £28 per 15kg, all the foods I mentioned above are cheaper and better quality. Good food doesn't have to be expensive. I fed Skinners to my two and they did fantastically.

Skinners Field & Trial Duck and Rice Dog Food 15Kg - £19.15

Arden Grange Adult Dog (Lamb & Rice) 15Kg Dry - £25.52

Someone else mentioned CSJ, they do a lot of good food at very reasonable prices indeed.

Dog Food for gundogs, sheepdogs, agility dogs, and show dogs.

Even better if you have a local stockist as the postage is a bit high.

I know the above are adult foods, but the differance in ingredients is uaually so minimal all you're paying the extra for is the word 'puppy' on the bag.

#19 Lyceum, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi, I really feel for you. That was me a year ago. First pup I had had in ages and boy did she put me through the mill at feed time.

We ended up on Skinners hypoallergenic and we havent looked back but to get there I had to put down her RDA in the morning and leave it. If I picked it up after 15mins that gave her all the attention she needed to hang out some more. Putting it down and forgetting about it soon did the trick.

Quite a few people feed Wagg and altho it isnt great, there is worse. Skinners Maintenance is v reasonable and you dont feed much so it works out even more economical.

I think you have to make a plan and stick to it come hell or high water with a relaxed attitude.
    Not easy and v worrying but you will come through it :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice