Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy food question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by pinklemonade, Jun 24, 2009.

1. pinklemonade

pinklemonade PetForums Newbie

just back from max's first check up and got our puppy pack from them which included a 1kg bag of hills puppy food.

only query is that they've given us a bag of large breed puppy food for a 3.25kg 8 week old cocker spaniel... will it do him any harm or should we go back and ask them to change it

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Donate it to charity and get a better quality food.

What was the breeder feeding?

3. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

Unless you want an early trip back to the vets I wouldn't introduce a new food to your puppy until he is well and truely settled in and if you introduce it slowly over a couple of weeks. Otherwise you are likely to have runny poo and an upset puppy

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I doubt it would do him any harm - our puppy keeps nicking my older dogs food. I think it's just puppies need an higher protein diet than adult dogs. You could always save it till he grows a bit - has it got a use by date on?

You're lucky - we only got a wee pad and pet tracker disc in our puppy pack.:( Got a free frontline combo though - although I doubt it was free with the price of the innoculation.:eek:

5. pinklemonade

pinklemonade PetForums Newbie

breeder has him on dry mix and raw puppy mince which we've been told to take him off as its oo high in calories for him and will do him no good.

i dont think it will do him any harm especially as we'll just be using it to wean him off his breeder's stuff and onto hills.

just wanted to check that he'll be ok on it!

6. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

I use the free bag of Burns' puppy food that I got as treats for recall and other training - it's something a bit different from her normal food but still formulated for puppies and keeps her interested :)

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Brilliant advice :D.
    A lot of vets get a kick back from Hills so they are only to happy if they can get their clients to buy it.

Terri

8. crawfom

crawfom PetForums Newbie

Whatever you feed make sure it is natural!
    There are lots of different ones and I have just started feeding the new Joe & Jack's puppy food from joesnaturalpetstore.co.uk - which seems to be woring really well.
    Also, don't believe the rubbish about big dog / small dog foods - it is just marketing hype to get people worried about buying exactly the right thing.
    An 8 week cocker just needs a decent quality NATURAL food - and if you don't understand the ingredient list, don't buy it

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd be tempted, as someone else posted, to use it as training treats, and choose which food you want for your pup, switching them across to it gradually from whatever the breeder had them on.

There are plenty of threads to have a look at recommendations for complete foods (wet and dry), as well as advice on the raw diet. One of the people I know with working cockers (works, competes and breeds the occasional litter) has his dogs on half BARF and half Skinners, and whenever I've seen them out training/working they look very well on it.

10. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

Keep him on the food that the breeder has been feeding for at least 4 weeks. Otherwise it'll be a bit like moving to India and only eating Indian food, if you are not used to it your stomach will rebel.

Hills is not that great a food, vets push it because they make at least 30% profit from every bag they sell to you

11. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

i threw mine in the bin, thought about using it for training though it was coated with all kinds of stuff
    I should have thought about sending it to charity but didnt :eek:

12. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My springer was on hill as a pup, He was fine on it, my cocker was on it till last week the only reason she's not on it now is beause i've gone over to raw feeding:D But she'll be on hill's when she's at work with me, It's like human food it's down to choice, If your pup get on and thrive's on it then it's the best one for him. good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice