Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy food help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by seratobyflynn, Apr 26, 2011.

1. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

Hello! We have a lovely 11 week old puppy was on purina dry mixed with nature diet wet. We successfully switched to fish 4 dogs dry and are now swapping the wet (he eats such tiny amounts we were throwing away half the nature diet trays). We decided on James wellbeloved. We switched out a 1/4 of the nature diet with a 1/4 of the jwb amount for breakfast and a few hours later he vomited. Just once, just a little bit. Then for lunch we did the same and he threw up again a bit more. Shall I stop now or shall I keep going? It's only 4g of jwb per meal! Not sure. Any advice would be helpful and an alternative?

2. seratobyflynn

Or is it because it's hot? Just thought it might be after he wakes up and he has a big old drink from his bowl?

3. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

congrats on the new puppy - my pup started on pedigree he had terrible diarrhoea and was fussy then we moved him to wainwrights wet best thing i did he scoffs it down especially the turkey and duck. Fish for dogs salmon mousse is nice too on top of kibble. speak with your vet they might be able to suggest how much to feed, etc

I found Ness from Arden grange very helpful they do great information booklets and will also send out packets of food to try not just 1 like most companies i got 8 so baxter could try it over a few days.

pups can be soo fussy hope you find something it likes.

Good luck

#3 bagpuss4, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. leoebony

leoebony PetForums Newbie

Hi Seratabyflynn
    I have a 6mth old puppy he got a e-coli infection he is now on Arden Grange its Hypoallergenic & free from Wheat Gluten I got it from pet planet.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would personally stop the JWB.

If you were doing fine on the ND, why not freeze part of it in portion sized pieces.

Hope he is much better v soon x

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

it does sound like it may be the jwb. id maybe stick with the nature diet if it suited him.
    as mum2heidi said, u cud freeze it if u go through a pack quite slowly.

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I agree with the above, I'd ditch the JWB and stick with what suited. You could cut up the nature diet into the sizes you need and freeze it. Then just defrost as needed.

8. seratobyflynn

Hi all! Thanks for your response. It's one of those things that you just don't know what the right thing to do is! I hadn't thought about freezing it but I think I will do that - as you say it's better to stick with what he's on. He seems to love it!

Thanks everyone. Lots of help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice