Puppy food for staffy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jaywhy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jaywhy

Jaywhy PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm picking my new staffy pup up this weekend what's the best food for her that won't break the bank after going to pets at home I came out confused as to how nany types there are please help

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money.

But please keep your pup on the food she has been on at her breeders for a few days and change over very slowly by mixing increasing amounts of the new with the old over a couple of weeks.

Boxerluver30 and BlueJay like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Wainwrights, which is Pets at Home own brand, is good food and doesn't break the bank.

I would opt for the grain free version.

Westie Mum and Doyley like this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay ★ Snooterhounds Everywhere ★

Slighty lower price bracket, Step Up isn't a bad option. Comes in grain free too

Westie Mum likes this.
  5. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I second the all about dog food website. Its very good for comparing different foods, and there are options on there to narrow down price ranges, food quality etc. It also does a good analysis of ingredients per brand and says whether a food is too high in X (could be something like derivatives or artificial flavourings, neither of which are in good in large quantities). Don't be put of by price either, some foods are expensive however often these are the higher end foods which you don't have to feed as much of. So actually it works out cheaper in the long run as it lasts longer. Just putting that in as lots of people see the high price label and get put off straight away. I'm not saying to break the bank or anything however just a thought to consider. The most important thing is to find a food that suits your dog, you may get people saying X food is better than Y for example but X may not suit and Y does (Hope that makes sense, it does to me!) Just some general advice, I can't remember what we fed my dog as a puppy otherwise I would say. Oh and yes keep pup on the breeders food for now and make the transition to your new food after a few weeks when she has settled :)

6. Jaywhy

Jaywhy PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice folks

Boxerluver30 likes this.