Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy food advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Monkeypuppy, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Monkeypuppy

Monkeypuppy PetForums Junior

Hi, we got our puppy a couple of weeks ago and when he came to us his owner gave us a bag of dry adult food she'd been feeding him We bought some dry puppy food and gradually changed it over the course of a week as advised.

He then got diarrhea and had very smelly wind, and then was sick oce 2 evenings ago.

So yesterday, we just gave him boiled chicken and rice and his tummy seems much better. So today we've been gradually adding some of his previous puppy food to the rice and chicken, and the smelly wind is back!!

Were thinking we might try a different puppy food brand but my query is, should we just start afresh with a new brand, or should we get him back on his previous brand and then ween him onto the new stuff over a few days?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What was the adult food?

3. Monkeypuppy

It was a dry food, tesco own. But he's been on dry puppy food for at least a week. We're just not sure if he's not agreeing with it!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Certainly dont want him on that, but you probably changed too soon after coming into a new home.

Is he on four meals evenly spaced out across the 24 hour period?

You might need to reintroduce the puppy food really slowly over about 10-14 days as long as his tummy is settled on fish/chicken and rice. If he isnt passing a normal poo at all, then you need to go to the vets.

Be careful with swapping and changing.

5. Monkeypuppy

So would you recommend keeping him on the chicken and rice and then introducing the new puppy food brand over 10-14 days? I don't want to keep changing him but something obviously wasn't right with the previous one.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If he is solid on the chicken and rice, then yes, i would VERY slowly introduce the puppy food.

If he isnt solid, then you need to go to the vets as there could be an underlying cause.

7. Monkeypuppy

Great, thanks. One more question since you seem to know your stuff! What weight of rice / chicken / puppy food should I start on?

He is going to be a medium sized dog and he's 3.5 months. According to the puppy food packaging she should be having around 200g of puppy food per day, but I'm not sure how much rice and chicken.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

That i cant answer as ive never used it for more than a couple of days. You dont want to under feed a puppy, but over feeding can cause some of the issues you've been having.

9. Monkeypuppy

Thanks for your help. He was fine on just chicken and rice but gave him small amount of puppy food mixed in yesterday and he's had diarrhea again today. So I guess it's a trip to the vet to find out what's going on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice