Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Food - Advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I am picking up my pug puppy on 18th July. The breeder is currently feeding the puppies with Pedigree Puppy (tinned, meatloaf). I will carry on with this and am not in a rush to make any changes, but I wondered what other dog owners thought of Pedigree tinned foods (or rather what their dogs think!).

Do you think I should mix a little dried food in with the wet food at some point too?

I would also be interested to find out what other pug owners are feeding their dogs and any brands I should steer clear of.

All comments welcome.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Pedigree isnt great. Its full of derivatives and sugars, not to mention cereals, all of which are bad for your dog.

Do you wish to feed a wet or a dry food?

3. Wouldn't rush to change the food in the first inst! but the food currently fed is not the best!!!! I would be tempted to look at Nature Diet puppy myself! but make sure you introduce the food gradually otherwise you woill upset his stomach!

I you decide to go with a dry food look at Arden Grange! personally though I would go with the ND
    regards
    DT

#3 DoubleTrouble, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  4. Cuddypuppy

I think wet looks kind of more appetising and dry looks, well, dry!

I would quite like to feed a natural but ready packaged product if possible.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Naturediet would be the one then. Its as close to a natural diet as you are going to get, and most dogs love it.

Of course wait a good few weeks before changing, then gradually do it over 10-14 days to prevent tummy upset.

6. Cuddypuppy

I'll read up on the Arden Grange and Nature Puppy. When do you think would be the best time to start making a gradual change to the diet? The puppy will be 8 weeks old when we get her and we are arranging vaccinations at 8 and 10 weeks.

7. It is actually nature diet! corrected my error!
    I mix the two and do have supurb results!
    What breed are you getting!
    lol
    DT

8. Cuddypuppy

We are getting a black pug. So, do you actually mix Naturediet in with the Arden Grange then?

9. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I have a 15 week old puppy and when i got him the breeder gave me 2 weeks supply of the food she was using (dry). After a week i started weaning him off that and on to Royal Canin (dry) and Cesar's (wet) with the following proportions:

80% Breeder food.....20% new - 1st couple of days

60% Breeder food.....40% new - 3rd/4th day

40% Breeder food.....60% new - 5th/6th day

20% Breeder food.....80% new - until breeder food finished

He's now totally on a mixture of the two i've chosen to use.

I feed a mixture of dry & wet in the morning......dry midday.......dry mid afternoon and a mixture of dry & wet early evening.

He didn't have any problems adjusting to his new food (ie no upset tummy) and seems to prefer it over the original.

Good Luck! :D

10. justenuf

justenuf PetForums Member

All my puglets fed on Royal Canin........mini junior....even when they adults...... can't fault it .....apart from the price !!!!!!
    Fed mixed with a spoonful of minced beef, usually.........
    Tinned food mostly water so would steer clear............change over gradually.... my pug babies are weaned onto RC with scrambled egg, grated cheese, chicken breast and are fed 4 times a day until at least 3 months and then 3 times daily.
    Good luck with your pug baby........you'll have a ball !!!!!!!!!:D

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i mix Natures diet and Arden grange for my pup Hes a large breed so he gets half a tub of Naturediet for lunch with a small cup of arden grange. Its fab stuff his poops are as nice they can be lol, his coat is gorgeous!!

wouldnt change his food again Natures diet and arden grange all the way!

12. Cuddypuppy

Sounds like your pup is happy with the food you have chosen. Do you soak the dry food at all when you feed the dry meal on its own?

13. Cuddypuppy

How many puglets do you have? We can't wait to get our little girl. Do you buy your Royal Canin in bulk? At what point do you stop giving the scrambled egg? Sorry, so many questions........ and everyone here is so helpful :blushing:

14. Forum twins me finks!!!:):)
    My thoughts exactly!!!

15. Cuddypuppy

Have been doing a bit of Googling and am tempted to go down this route (gradually of course). I do like to shop around to get the best price. Any suggestions as to which retailer/online shop? :D

16. cubegame

cubegame PetForums Newbie

We appproached food with the opinion that we would simply buy the best food on the market, regardless of the cost.

After sitting and reading pretty much everything on the internet and every label in several pet shops we actually settled on Pets At Home own brand puppy food (kibble), which coincidentally is what the breeder fed our little Westie pup on anyway.

It jist so happens that the cost is also quite a bit lower than the "Brands". Remember that everytime you buy a brand you're paying for the brand strength as well which has to be established through advertising.

Of course, all puppies are different and will thrive on different things but compare the labels and see if you come to the same conclusion as us.

17. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

No...i leave it as it is, he seems to prefer it :D

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I must be an awful owner, I swap my pups food about all the time. My dogs get scraps and anything that is going so they are not going to be put on them slowly over a couple of weeks. Dogs happily eat any rubbish and dead stuff they pick up outside, usually with no ill effects. I think Candy has had 3 different sorts of dry food and 4 or 5 different makes of tins or pouches to mix with it plus various meat and veg table scraps. And she has never had an upset stomach. Dogs on a barf diet are on different things all the time too. I have always changed food when I feel like it and never had an ill effect. Obviously if you have a dog with a sensitive stomach you would have to be very very careful though.

19. justenuf

justenuf PetForums Member

No problem......just fire the questions at us .......
    We have 8 pugs at the moment........and yes I buy my RC from the breeders point........it is available from local pet shops though.
    As for scrambled egg............well officially at about 4 months.......but........a lady we know lets us have eggs from her chickens and we mix a big batch up and they all have some..........never a morsel left !!!!!

20. IHG

IHG PetForums Newbie

We feed PAH own brand larger puppy too. And, as you did I read, read, googled, read, compared, read, listened, read and finally read some more. :D

I am considering Arden Grange at the moment, I also like the look of the Fish4Dogs stuff but I have to be convinced that it is that much better than the PAH stuff to justify the difference in price.

There is a dog food comparison site, I can't remember the link, it is a US site but it does have lots of UK brands. I would take the bumph with a pinch of salt however the actual analysis figures give a good insight and it tells you what all the stufff means like 'Chicken derivatives' and the like. I'm sure someone will be able to post the link.

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice