Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy feeding issues

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Deva87uk, May 27, 2020.

1. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is staying safe and well. I adopted a pomapoo puppy just before lockdown started and almost immediately I became concerned about how little she eats and that she is constantly scratching to the point where she’s getting frustrated.

When I adopted her - she was being fed on pedigree puppy dry and meat which I know is the dog food equivalent of McDonalds and she was only grazing on that so I thought I would change her onto something better and a friend recommended Ava (pets at home brand). I started to introduce slowly but we got to half and half and she started vomiting so I spoke to the vet who told me to try something else. This has now happened with the majority of the products on the shelf - I’ve tried butchers then tried James wellbeloved and wainwright’s as vet suggested she may be intolerant to gluten. Still no joy so tried the frozen natures own stuff which made her have diarrhoea and vomit. She also becomes extremely sleepy after she’s been sick and since she is my first dog I am worried sick about her but the vet is not concerned because she’s gaining weight.

At my wits end - my friend suggested I tried webbox natural rolls which she is currently eating but still itching a lot and she’s occasionally heaving but not being sick yet. I don’t want to keep her on it because I’ve heard it’s not a good brand and will not give her the nutrients she needs? She has days where she will not eat at all and she will not entertain dry food at all.

Can anyone think of anything I can do? Or if I should be pushing the vet to consider a protein allergy maybe?
    Sorry for the ramble - I’m just really concerned and I love her so much already I can’t stand to think that she doesn’t feel well.
    Thanks for your replies in advance x

Attached Files:

2. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I have a toy poodle puppy Teddy who is 15 weeks old. He came from the breeder eating scrambled egg for breakfast then raw tripe for the other meals with puppy Ava kibble in between. I couldn’t get any of the Ava kibble so I bought Piccolo kibble from pets corner which I had used before as part of my other dogs diets and rates Slightly higher than Ava on all about dog food website. He now has butchers puppy perfect trays for breakfast and dinner with raw trips at lunchtime. The butchers rates well also in between I leave down a small amount of piccolo kibble which he often eats as well.

3. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

I’ve tried butchers it made her sick just like all the others I’ve tried.
    Been feeding her fruit and veg today which she keeps down fine and loves it but obviously she can’t only eat that!

4. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

Would it be worth trying a fish based food? Do you want to give dry or wet only you can get piccolo which is salmon and venison as opposed to the chicken and duck that I buy. Wet foods there are several fish ones Lily’s kitchen nature diet to name one or two. Hope this is of any help for you.

5. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

I can’t get her to eat fish based foods. I want to give her a mixed of both dry and wet foods so she gets the best of both but if I’m looking at a prescription diet then I’ll probably have to choose one or the other as I can’t afford both.

forgot to mention in the initial post that Lily’s kitchen was the first thing I tried her on and it made her violently sick. It seems to be anything really high in protein that makes her sick and have diarrhoea

has anyone else got any ideas of what I could do or should be doing? Thanks

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have you considered a bland diet of chicken and rice for a while to let her tum recover? You’ve tried lots of things and her tum is probably very sensitive hence not settling well on anything.
    It can take up to 6 weeks for a dogs tum to fully adjust to a new food.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  7. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

I did put her on salmon and rice natures path(at the shops suggestion thinking she maybe allergic to chicken protein) for a few weeks but just like she has with everything else it started making her sick so she started to refuse to eat it entirely (as any animal would if something made them feel awful) which is when I took her to the vet And they suggested she may be gluten intolerant and I should try wainwright’s & James Wellbeloved.

Same thing happened on Wainwright’s as every other brand I’ve tried and I’ve always slowly introduced the new foods if I could so my friend suggested I tried webbox natural thinking she may just be being fussy as well as having the stomach problems (as webbox is hypoallergenic) and I avoided chicken based ones. Been slowly changing her onto it now for a week and we are mixing 1/3 webbox to 2/3 wainwrights and she is eating it but she’s still heaving, coughing and scratching like crazy.

I really feel for her as she’s itching that much she keeps sticking her front paws, front legs and her belly in her water bowl just trying to soothe the itch or chewing at them and me being so new to dogs I just don’t know what to do.

8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally I think this is one for the vet as no puppy or dog should be sick or show illness with every food you try. And the level of itching shows quite a severe allergy. Ask the Vets to start carrying out some tests.

And I think you will need some professional advice in regard to diet rather than the 'try this that that approach'. Chopping and changing our dogs food doesn't help with their digestion and although you are saying you are doing it slowly, by my calculation (you bought the puppy just before lockdown) you haven't had the pup that long but have tried an awful lot. How old is your puppy now? Have you spoken to the breeder, too?

I would go for a band diet - cook a little white fish with rice for a while to get the tum to settle but take it up with your Vet now and see what they can do.

J

niamh123 likes this.
  9. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

Hi thanks for your advice. I agree the vet should be taking more of an interest in this. I do personally feel that she should be at least on an elimination diet.

My puppy is 19 weeks old as I got her not directly from the breeder but from a friend who had her for 2 weeks before work interfered. Even when she was tiny she was a “grazer” and barely ate. As long as I’ve had her she’s always been being sick, had hiccups, switches between constipated and diarrhoea and she’s always scratched even with the amount of fur on her

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think you need a really thorough vet investigation. You could well be barking up the wrong tree and none of this could actually be food related. While young puppies can have food intolerances, actual allergies are not common in a pup as young as yours. There’s nothing to suggest that the itching (particularly) or the sickness are necessarily result of food.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

In suggesting a bland diet I meant preparing your own. Poached skinless chicken breast or fish fillet and some white rice or plain mashed potato. It’s a lot easier on their tums than most dog food and I suspect would be a vet’s suggestion bearing in mind the amount of changes you’ve made and how sensitive your dog’s tum has become.

Silverdoof likes this.
  12. Deva87uk

Deva87uk Luna

Hi thanks for your comments.

I went to speak to the vet and they did suggest I take her off all meat products and keep her on a hypoallergenic diet so because I’m disabled and struggle to cook for myself nevermind anyone else - they recommended a product which is basically just white fish and potato and we have been gradually swapping her onto that for the last few days and so far so good. She’s not been sick once, she’s not having trouble with her bowels and she’s not itching half as much. Still not eating very much though - she prefers the dry than the wet and is still only grazing.
    The vet still suggested having the allergy tests done so that’s the next step but I’m wary of the cost of them haha

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Good news re the food. Sounds like you’re on the right track now.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice