Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy farms

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by LeedsBecky, Nov 16, 2018.

1. LeedsBecky

LeedsBecky PetForums Newbie

Has anyone been duped into buying a puppy from a puppy farm?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

No, but I think it is easily done.

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

no . Puppies bought from pet shops are usually from puppy farms or BYB .

O2.0 likes this.
  4. Luka13

Luka13 Banned

Yes my friend has. But at least she rescued it from there.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

When you buy a puppy from a puppy farm, you're not *rescuing*, you're buying. You're funding an operation that creates suffering. The puppies find a home, but what about the poor breeding bitch? Stuck in a cage, litter after litter and then cast aside when she's no longer good for breeding anymore?
    Why do all these people who "rescue" puppies from puppy farms never think to rescue the breeding bitches? :(

spotty cats, Sairy, Sarah H and 10 others like this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No, your friend didn't rescue, she bought.

So long as people buy these pups from Puppy Farms, they will continue to breed them.

If the pups didn't sell, the breeding would stop.

spotty cats, Sairy, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  7. Luka13

Luka13 Banned

The pup could have ended up in a rescue or worse gone onto someone else who would breed from her! My friend paid €100 for the pup, she was a springer x cocker spaniel. I paid €150 for my last rescue.

8. Luka13

Luka13 Banned

She paid €100 for the pup who could have ended up with another byb or in a rescue! I have paid €150 and more when rescuing previous dog from a rescue

9. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

At least if the pup ended up in rescue, there wouldn't be a profit in the breeders pocket to encourage more breeding and the dog would have some sort of backup.

It's genuinely not about how much you pay... It's about where that money goes and the welfare of *all* the dogs involved.
    A rehoming fee at a rescue centre goes back to feeding, vet care, transport and general upkeep so that other dogs can find homes too. Dogs from good rescues typically come neutered, vaccinated, vet checked, microchipped, behaviour assessed, and come with advice, assistant and backup if needs be.
    A sale price at a puppy farm lets that breeder irresponsibly breed more dogs. Microchip because it's the law and vaccinations and vet check if your lucky, don't care what happens to pup once it's out the door.

Yes, that ONE puppy has a home. But it was definitely bought rather than rescued, and there's a whole bunch more where that came from.

#9 BlueJay, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    spotty cats, Sairy, AmsMam and 6 others like this.
  10. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Exactly. While it's great that one dog got a good home, it's the bigger picture. It's what the puppy farmers are, literally, banking on. People will give them money and take their puppies thinking they're "saving" that individual, when actually the puppy farmer just got anything from a few hundred to several thousand for a litter of puppies and still has the mum and dad to farm out yet more. They're happy chilling out in their luxury clothing and fancy cars while animals suffer. It's finding the strength to walk away from a sad furry face that'll worry the farmers, to then report to relevant authorities such as Trading Standards and RSPCA.

Sairy likes this.
  11. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Puppy farmers tend to spend as little as possible so the money they get for each pup is as much profit as they can possibly make. Their breeding bitches don't get extra food and care to help them cope with the demands a pregnancy and feeding the pups makes on their bodies, they don't get the time between pregnancies to properly recover and enjoy any proper doggy living, they just spend their entire lives pregnant and feeding, with very little,if any, extra care. As Bluejay so rightly pointed out, a dog from a rescue centre usually comes neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and has had any health issues addressed.

12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My dogs from rescues have been neutered vaccinated and chipped. Not bad for £150 !

Sarah H and O2.0 like this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Why do you say "could have ended up in rescue" like it's a bad thing? If a good rescue got a hold of the pup, at least the pup would go to a well-vetted home with support and follow-up. Good rescues also take dogs back if things don't work out.
    The money paid to the rescue goes to help other dogs in need.
    Money paid to a puppy farmer goes to creating more suffering. I'd gladly pay $150 and more to a good rescue knowing that money is going to a good cause.

spotty cats, Sairy, Sarah H and 5 others like this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Mods, may I ask what happened to Luka13? It's always a bit unsettling when you're talking to someone and then they suddenly show up as banned without anything contentious happening. Did I miss something?

15. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

I believe when people ask to delete their accounts they take a voluntary ban? May not be the case but I wonder if they just chose to leave?

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I appreciate it's unsettling for someone to disappear without warning but Luka was a PBM. ( past banned member )

O2.0 likes this.
  17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well spotted. :D

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Thank you, wasn't trying to pry :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  19. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Written about 'saving' rats from pet shops, but same deal financially speaking. Whether rodent farm or puppy farm, it's all about supply and demand.

Jemymah, Sairy, Sarah H and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice