Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy exercise

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Calum Mills, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Calum Mills

Calum Mills PetForums Junior

Hi all
    Looking for some help here.
    6 month old Harley is a huge bundle of energy and is always charging around the house like a lunatic. He could play fetch/ chase for hours even though he is tiny!

I know its the 5mins per month of age on lead but what about the off lead? If we go to the beach for example, long as he is off lead is there a rule? We are just looking at ways to keep him busy and entertained as he has so much energy and loves to be 'on the go'... he is part JRT after all.

Any hints/tips are welcomed :)
    He starts up advanced puppy classes tomorrow and more agility (puppy play) on Sunday!

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I've heard the 5min per month of age rule, but honestly, I've never stuck to it. I'm a big believer in lots of free play, free exploring time for puppies. Preferably with sensible adults who can model sensible behavior, not other puppies being puppy stupid.

That said, I rarely have puppies on a leash unless I'm doing specific leash training, so most of their exercise ends up being off leash.
    I also watch closely for signs of fatigue, some puppies will self-regulate, many won't and they need us to intervene for them. So if puppy starts getting tired (which sometimes looks like hyper behavior, not slowed down behavior) I will intervene and give them a rest.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would not really call a 6 month small breed a puppy in terms of needing to limit exercise. I also agree with Ouesi. Just get on and walk your dog and let him play on the beach for as long as you both want to be there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice