Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Eating/Picking Up Grass, Leafs etc - Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Randomly Set, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

Yes, I know they "explore" with their mouths. And we're only on day 4 with our pup. Obviously he wants to pick up everything and anything in the garden.

I'm begining to get exhausted watching him and trying to stop him eating grass and/or leafs. My question is, should he actually ingest any, will it do any harm? I'm constantly taking things from him because the missus believes it to be bad for him. But how bad is it?

Today it has become borderline game of "chase". Not everytime I go to him, just sometimes.

So, do I constantly remove leafs/grass/stones from him, and risk it becoming a game of chase, or leave him be on occassions? He does sometimes drop whatever he has when he runs about like a mad man :D

2. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

I'd watch him with stones as they can be dangerous, but Daisy quite often has grass and leaves hanging out her mouth. Too much grass can make them sick, though, but I wouldn't stress overly. Watch for snails though as they can carry lungworm.

3. Randomly Set

Oh yes, stones are common sense. What about mud? Although he tends to drop that. I know grass makes them sick, but a little is "ok"

4. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I'd start working on a solid "leave", I'm a bit anal about pups picking stuff up, as you really don't know what they are picking up, and there are plants, flowers and things that are toxic to them, and also you'll be walking him soon and god knows what he could pick up and eat, and it's always imo a fail safe if they pick something dangerous up or something they really shouldn't have :D

Rather than taking it off Jeffery, do a trade :) I'd use the command "leave" or "out" which ever you prefer, and trade for something yummy, we always when Cian was younger had pockets full of liver and treats for a trade in :D

So rather than you chasing him, and it being a battle or game, he knows he's going to get something nice, I mean what would you rather a manky piece of grass or a stone or something yummy..

5. Randomly Set

Sounds like I'm needing to invest in more treats. We have about 3 bags so we have a variety, but only give them now n then. Sounds like I need to use them more

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

As well as Meezey's sound advice which is what I do you can turn getting stolen and picked up things into a game. I say "what have you got?" in a playful way and when they come near I will trade if dangerous straight away but if "harmless" like an empty bottle or something I'll play with it with them, then trade for it and then give it back again - so that the whole thing becomes a game and pups start to bring you things knowing that there is a treat or a game or both in it for them. They get canny very quickly and deliberately pick up and bring to you then pointedly drop things to get something but I'd rather that than not want to give things up and, once the behaviours become solid on cue or automatically you can start phasing treats out.

I still randomly treat my dogs for dropping or leaving things now - I don't think it does them any harm to still get rewarded for it now and again with more than praise.

7. Randomly Set

Thanks guys

8. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Make your own it's cheaper :) Get a few packs of Pigs liver and either make Liver cake:

Liver cake recipe for dogs

Or just cook it at a really low heat in the oven for about 3/4 hours, cut it up to puppy bite size piece, crush about 2/3 cloves of garlic under you hand and throw them in the container with your liver, super smelly tasty ( for the dog, although I think it tastes alright too) low cost treats that dogs love.

We also have a treat bag stuck to us:

Dog Collars : Spiffy Dog Pet Products*::*Pocket Treat Bag*::*Pocket Treat Bag

#8 Meezey, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice