Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy eating anything in the garden

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by siany09, Jun 26, 2009.

1. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

hi, my 12 week old shihtzu puppy daisy has been trying to eat anything and everything she can get her hands on in the garden and will have a go at any bits on the floor in the house! what makes things worse is we have been having a patio laid and there is a lot of building materials around the garden. i watch her all the time when she is out/in the house (mainly as she rarely leaves my side!) and feel i am constantly taking something off her or clearing the floor of things she may eat. i am so worried that some of these things may harm her? how can i stop her from wanting to eat anything in sight??

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What do you give her that she is allowed to chew/play with?

3. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

she has loads of toys in the house and for outside the house. outside she has balls, pull toys, frisbie things inside she has chews and lots of other toys rattley ones, chew ones, balls, my cats toys, a kong etc. i was very worried about her doing this so got her loads of toys, interstingly she leaves the furniture alone!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you stuff the kong at all with food?

Plus try rotating her toys, so that she doesnt have access to all of them, all the time.

When she tries to pick something up, try diverting her attention to something she can play with.

5. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Yep, agree with this post ^^^

And limit access to things she isn't allowed.

6. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

many thanks for your reply (should have said that before!), yes i do do that, i rotate her toys and i fill the kong with different treats. i have tried diverting her attention with different noises at first and then i have been trying toys to get her attention and various distraction techniques. :confused:

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Perseverance and consistency then. Plus eyes in the back of your head ;)

Puppies are as bad as toddlers for picking horrible things up. As you are supervising her, she shouldnt be in any danger. Its just an annoying habit many dogs have.

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello, i got 3 shih tzus, one of mine will eat anything, so i have to watch her, she loves eating leaves for some reason, so i have them fenced off down the bottom so they can only go up the top of the garden when i am with them, ;)

9. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

thanks! i know i dont think my kids took this much watching :D i think another baby would have been easier!!!!! :D

10. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

hi! your babies are gorgeous!! leaves are a particular faourite!!! although she hasnt touched any of my home grown veg???

11. sammyben

sammyben Guest

lol, I know..at least with a tiny baby they can't move on their own so not so much need for constant attenion :D

Sammy is the exact same, I am constantly trying to have a wee peek see what he has in his mouth! As always its something he shouldnt have lol.

x

12. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

My pup is the same, I keep on eye on her and spend most of my time fishing things out of her mouth!
    If I see she is doing something she souldn't be I just grab her favourite toy and that usually gets her attention!

13. rona

rona Guest

?????????????? :confused:

14. siany09

siany09 PetForums Newbie

thanks rona i chose to ignore this ignorants persons advice and somehow the post has dissapeared. i only came on this site to hopefully get some help in raising my pup but have found there are a rare few that just should not be on here and god forbid own dogs themselves.

a big thank you :)to all those who replied with great ideas and answers many thanks but regretfully i dont think i will be posting again due to those oddballs who cant offer any decent, kind advice.

15. Rhiannan

Rhiannan PetForums Junior

Welcome to my world lol!

My dalmatian pup Bailey is 18 weeks old now and she will eat anything she can get her chops round! I have given up on any form of gardening as she will pull the heads off flowers and pull up any veg I plant :eek:

Washing blowing on the line is irresistable so that gets pulled off and dragged round the garden :eek:hmy:

Plant pots are ace fun to rip apart too!

She is a right monkey and it took me a while to let go of my garden-pride. It's just one of those things really. A tasty hide chew will always take her attention from it, so will a kong with peanut butter or cream cheese in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice