Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy during the night

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rebeccac92, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Rebeccac92

Rebeccac92 PetForums Junior

My 9 week old puppy is kept downstairs in my kitchen with her crate unlocked during the night.
    She started barking at 1.15am I went down and her pad had been sodden. I took her outside and she did not use the toilet at all and kept scratching to go back in. We came in and put her back to bed but now she has been barking and scratching the door for about 10minutes.

I shouldn't be going down should I? As this would be reinforcing her to bark. But what should I do? Should I have waited longer with her outside? Or just ignore full stop and let her use her pads?

2. Rebeccac92

To add shw settled soon after but has just been barking again. I went down let her out she had a wee and put her back and she's now barking her little head off

3. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

She is probably lonely and scared. She has been taken away from her mother and litter mates to find herself alone in your kitchen at night. Can't you have her inthe crate in the bedroom? At least she will then be able to hear you and you can comfort her.

As she gets older you can start to move her crate further away out of the bedroom until it is where you want it.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

She has just left her mum, siblings and everything she has ever known so is probably lonely, scared and cold tbh.

I would have her crate in your room so she feels more secure and you can comfort her with your voice if she fidgets and fusses. That way she won't have any reason to get anxious which will give you a happy, confident pup who you can gradually wean off you a little as she grows and finds her own independence.

I would ditch the puppy pads (they confuse the issue and can encourage toileting indoors on anything soft) and get her up several times in the night for toileting. Carry her straight outside and use a slip lead so she doesn't just wander about. Lots of praise when she toilets then back to bed.

You can slowly reduce toilet breaks as she learns to control herself but it will take a little while for her to be physically able to hold.

Regular trips outside cutting the day so she understands - toileting happens outside.

5. Rebeccac92

Thank you both, I always thought that putting her with us from the start would set her up to be more attached and not sleep alone but I suppose eventually weaning her off would work. I am worried about accidents upstairs since it's all carpet but I suppose it's something I need to get over and if I take her out regularly then I also should avoid

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think, rather than create a clingy pup it will give you a happy, relaxed pup that feels safe and secure in it's new family/environment that can gradually learn independence when they are ready for it ;)

If she is in the crate that will save your carpets - put a plastic sheet underneath for added protection.

7. danielled

danielled Guest

Have her in your room with you. Set an alarm for a couple of times in the night to take her out. While your at it bin the puppy pads they just confuse the puppy which won't help toilet training.

8. Rebeccac92

I'll have a go tonight then and see how it's goes

MiffyMoo likes this.
  9. Rebeccac92

Should I not wait till she barks? Or will that be too late.

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

The time between a puppy realising she needs to toilet, and actually being unable to hold it, is very small. Toilet training will be far quicker if you set her up to succeed by having her out before she needs. As she is actually in the process of toileting (daytime too) you can introduce cue words like 'do weewee' so later, once she has made the association, you can prompt her.

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and danielled like this.
  11. danielled

danielled Guest

No don't wait til she barks. Set an alarm a couple of times in the night. If you wait til she barks it could be too late.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She will probably only bark once she has wet her bed and it feels uncomfortable. She will not realise that she needs to go and certainly will not know that barking is the cue for you to take her outside to have a wee when she is quite happy to do it in the comfort of the cage! I actually have never taken dogs outside at night, it can take a bit longer for them to be clean but it happens. If you are crating though you are better to get up to her as otherwise she will learn it is ok to mess in her crate then shout because she does not have a clean dry bed.

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we had Dillon I had his crate in the living room and I slept on the sofa for about 2 weeks until he settled into his new home and was happy to sleep though the night.

Lurcherlad, Elles and MiffyMoo like this.
  14. Rebeccac92

how often did you get up to let him out? Was he ok when you started sleeping back upstairs too?

15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I put him in the garden every 2/3 hours, we have a bungalow so although he still slept in his crate he could come to us if he wanted to. Have you thought about having her crate in the bedroom.

16. Rebeccac92

Yeah that's what I'm going to try tonight so she doesn't feel too lonely I just don't want to wake her up more than necessary

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  17. Lorna__83__

Lorna__83__ PetForums Newbie

I had my dog in a crate in my room for the first couple of weeks. The first 3 night he was right next to my bed so he could smell/ hear me if he woke up. Which he only did for the first couple of nights.
    After the first 3 nights I moved him to the far side of my room so he could still be relatively close. And the after about 10-14 days moved him out completely. He never had any accidents in his crate, but I did have to pick him up straight out of it when he woke up or he would have an accident! But it seemed to work well. He is just over a year now and LOVES his crate - if he's particularly tired, he'll ask to go in it to sleep! :)

I also got him a little teddy called a Snuggle Puppy, which comes with a heat pad and heart beat simulator. Which was amazing!! He would snuggle right up to it. It definitely helped with his separation anxiety from being away from his mum and siblings. And a year on... he still takes his teddy to bed with him - the heat pad and heart beat have long since been chewed up tho! So you could always try one of those - I got mine from amazon.

Good luck... I remember the first few weeks with my pup. And as amazing as it is, it's such hard work and exhausting! x

JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Rebeccac92

Thank you! It has been hard work but I know it'll all be worth it in the end and she is just the cutest!!

I think I might get one of them snuggle puppies, the bed I have has a removable heat pad in it already but I think the heart beat part would be really nice for her.

I didn't end up keeping her in my room, I took her up and she was too excited to relax. I should of took her in before bed time so she could sniff the place out and get used to it.

She slept downstairs in my kitchen with her crate open, had 2 successful trips outside and no accidents and no crying so I think I may persevere with her down stairs

Darkangelwitch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice