Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy dry skin patches

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by TaylorMcCall, Jul 13, 2019.

1. TaylorMcCall

TaylorMcCall PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Desperate for some advice, I got a rescue pup from Houston, Texas about a month ago. Now she lives in Northern British Columbia, Canada.

Took her to the vet right away, she had some scabs in her ears and was very itchy. The vet put her on Hills Z/D dog food for skin and allergy sensitivities.

She is still itchy 2 weeks later, and has some dry patches under her eyes and now on her ear. They are small patches where eventually hair falls out and it appears to be dry scaly skin underneath.

Vet has momentarily ruled out parasites as she was treated right before I adopted her.

Any help would be so appreciated.

- the over protective new dog mom

Attached Files:

#1 TaylorMcCall, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 2:07 AM
  2. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Hmmmm, have to wonder if it’s the food. When it comes to food vets are clueless, they would if they had their own way say hey bakers is a great food lol. We on here know better however, grains make my dog itchy so he’s on grain free.

wee man likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Whatever she may be allergic to (environment, food) it could take a few weeks for it to clear her system. In the meantime, rubbing coconut oil into her skin might help her feel more comfortable, with the advantage that if she licks it it will help more rather than harm. Not around the eyes though.

niamh123, danielled and O2.0 like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Might be worth getting a skin scrape to 100% rule out parasites. Dogs with poor immune systems are more prone to things like demodex. The belly looks fine, but the eye photo could be a very mild case or she's on the mend from having been treated.

If it is allergies, it's worth testing and/or doing an elimination diet to see if you can pinpoint what exactly she is allergic to. Some dogs are allergic to grains, but chicken is also often a culprit, so switching to grain-free if it's the chicken she's allergic to won't do you any good.

Honestly, for now though, I'd stick to the food the vet has recommended since you've only had her on it two weeks, it can take up to 6 weeks for things to clear up, and since she's still relatively new to you, I wouldn't want to change up her food too much right away.
    I would switch eventually though, there are better quality foods out there for her to be on long-term. In the meantime, you can research what you think would work best. :)

lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Z/d is the anallergenic which means it's really really unlikely this food will cause a reaction to the skin.

I would really want a skin scrape done too. Demodex would be my first thought to be honest considering her age, and how common it actually is. I suspect all dogs have some demodex mites on them, a mature healthy immune system keeps them in check. In young and infirm dogs, this is when they usually become a problem

6. TaylorMcCall

Yes I agree! We’ll stay on this new food for a couple more weeks to rule out allergies!

7. TaylorMcCall

Great, I will try to use coconut oil! Thank you

8. TaylorMcCall

Yes, I would like to change her food eventually, it possible, the ingredients look a little subpar to other dog foods.

Thank you!

9. TaylorMcCall

I’ve noticed these are on her head now

Attached Files:

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How old is your puppy? Allergies are pretty unusual in dogs under a year old, but not impossible. If it is food allergies then the Z/D is the right diet for her to be on for now.

As others have said, I'd probably want a bit more investigation, particularly if it doesn't start to clear up on the Z/D.

lullabydream likes this.
  11. TaylorMcCall

The estimated her at about 7 months when I got her, so 8ish months now, she’s quite small for her age and they blamed that on malnutrition. She was a street puppy they rescued

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice