Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Dry Food - a minefield...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Novak's Mum, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Novak's Mum

Novak's Mum PetForums Junior

Hi

I have a question regarding puppy dry food...

When he came home, I was advised to keep him on the James Wellbeloved Puppy kibble he was weaned on, which I duly did. However, I became concerned when more often than not he had diarrhea after eating. Also, he would leave about half of it untouched.

Took him to the vet, who advised for me to feed him chicken and rice until it settled. This I did and after a couple of days, he was fine. I was also advised by the vet to change his food, as the JWB may not have been nutritious enough for him. this is where the fun began...:(

Tried Wainwrights on him and he went mental, hyperactive isn't the word. Also turned a bit aggressive, with a lot more mouthing and nipping than before.. Thought maybe not such a good choice, so I switched him back onto JWB until a suitable food was found. A friend told me about Arden Grange, which I introduced gradually and whilst he seems fine (he eats all of it and not so off on one all the time, energy levels are good, etc), his poo still isn't solid enough.

I am slowly adjusting the food measure he's getting until I find the level that seems right, however I'm wondering if it's normal for puppys to have this type of problem with their food?

Thanks

Lidia

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

It seems more and more of todays puppies are having these food problems,not entirely sure why!!
    Im sure Tanya will be along to advise from a breed point of view,but if it were me,i would try and find a good kibble (that you are both happy with) then add things like tripe,raw food and raw marrow bones too.That way your dog is getting a good balance.
    My lot had alot of tummy troubles and in the end i decided to (after advise) use an adult food from quite an early age,my lot just didnt do well on high protein foods.
    Saying that e Leon needs to have the right balance for it growth,so hopefully other giant breed owners will come along and help you :)

3. Novak's Mum

Hi Bearpaw

Thanks for responding. Ultimately, my goal is to find a food that Novak is ok on, that allows him to grow nice and steadily and that doesn't have vast drawbacks. I've been advised against Bakers, and though I considered feeding him kibble with tripe, etc, I'm not sure of the effects on his growth and would rather not chance it while he's still so young.

I limit the amount of foods I will consider for him because of his growth rate, hopefully someone out there with bears for pets will come foward. :) Thanks again.

4. mcmcslp

mcmcslp PetForums Newbie

I would be interested in what other people are using.

We were told to use Baker's by the breeder, but I don't think our pup is overjoyed with it. I'd love to find something that was more nutritious, based on the bad reviews I'm seeing for Baker's.

MC

5. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

When I got my pup he was on Beta Puppy food, and I kept him on that for a wee while until he had settled in, then decided I would change him onto something better.

To b honest, I tried a variety of kibble because my little fella would turn his nose up at them all. He would have a few mouthfuls and then walk away, or just ignore it all together.

I got really worried about it and got loads of good advice anout not changing the food, only leaving it down for 30 minutes and then taking it away etc, but nothing seemed to get him back to eating.

Eventually I defrosted some braising steak that I had in the freezer, cut it up into manageable pieces and tried him with that. Needless to say he scoffed the lot, and ever since he has been on raw/NatureDiet meals.

Since the change he has eaten all his food, his coat condition has improved dramatically, and he is doing really well.

It might be worth trying to mix a bit of raw into your dogs diet and see what happens.

6. Try nature diet puppy! but it really is not good to be changing his food often, any change should be introduced gradually.

7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

my two pups are both on arden grange and doing fabby. i used jwb pup with my last dog, and it didnt suit him either, so he was fed burns and was always fantastic on it. nice poops! haha.

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Have a look at fish4dogs, fish is good for sensitive tums as it's easy to digest, and fish4dogs has minimal fillers so basically has very few things in it than can cause food allergies in dogs.

Also Orijen, no fillers (ie cerials, rice) at all, just meat and veg. But a hefty price tag too.

9. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Please don't take the the wrong way, or be offended, but you could feed absolutely any other dog food and it would be better and more nutritious than bakers, bakers really is the lowest of the low.

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I had problems with Heidi when she was a pup. Used to keep going on hunger strike and to this day, I still dont know if it was the food or her testing me. When I changed to adult, I did my homework and dwindled it down to 3, got samples and let her decide. She has never refused again.

JWB is quite well known for giving runny tums. Whatever you decide, I would be careful keep changing. I know sometimes it cant be avoided but it can make a bad situation a lot worse, it did for me.

Hope you manage to find something that suits.

11. Novak's Mum

Totally agree, hence why I want to find one food type that suits him and he suits, and stick to it.

Everytime I tried a new food, it was always gradually introduced over a number of days, never 'cold turkey' as I personally find it can do more harm than good with some dogs. He ate both, but the effects afterwards were what got alarm bells ringing... :(

12. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I use Wainwrights wet puppy pouches/trays and a cup ful of P@H own brand complete puppy kibble. I supplement it with a tray of sardines/mackerel in sunflower oil (one tray split over 3 days or so) and some chunks of raw beef/chicken/lamb.

He can still be picky about the dry biscuits though.

13. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I have a giant breed and feed them Orijen and raw minced tripe/chicken/beef etc. The puppies have the large puppy version. Definitely the best food I've used.

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think lots of people recommend Burns mini bites as a good puppy food.

15. francham

francham PetForums Newbie

I dont know if we have pups with similer growth rates but mine has gained a kilo consistently each week since we had him, i started him on vetenerary hill science which really upset his tum, then iams which he likes - but he gets bored easily so have had him on purina pro, bakers (which i think is his favourite) and at the mo he is on pedigree. but he wont eat 3 meals a day every day sometimes only 1 so we supplement him with bones and meat and pigs ears to name a few things.

Oh and theres not an ounce of fat on him, hes 5 and a half months weighs 23kg and is 22" to his withers....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice