Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy drinking a lot

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amanda85!, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:18 PM.

1. Amanda85!

Amanda85! PetForums Newbie

Hi! We have a newly adopted puppy and I’m not going to lie- were finding this is tough! Our puppy seems to be thirsty ALL the time. He never seems to be satisfied. Is this normal puppy behavior or something I should be concerned about?

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Probably one to get checked at the vet. Any animal will drink more in the heat, or after an energetic play session but i certainly don't remember mine being thirsty all the time. I expect that means plenty of peeing too? Is your pup drinking lots right through the night too?

3. Amanda85!

Amanda85! PetForums Newbie

No, not drinking at night. Not offering. And yes he’s peeing a ton which has meant lots of accidents

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Do you mean he doesn’t get offered water at night? If so I wouldn’t withhold water at all but especially if it’s hot and he seems to drink a lot anyway.

Definitely a vet visit to rule out medical issues.

Try and take a wee sample with you.

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

In my experience you definitely need a vet check and as Lurcherland said try and get a wee sample to take with you:)

6. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

No wonder when he is being refused access to water at night. Can you imagine if after a certain time you were told right you can’t have anymore drinks now, next day you’d be thirsty too. Don’t want the pup to get dehydrated. Still take him to the vet.

7. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

I would certainly not with hold water at night, especially as he may have a genuine need for it :eek:. (this may not be a habit)
    What do you feed and how do you feed it ?
    If you are feeding a lot of dry kibble, your puppy is bound to drink quiet a lot, also if you leave dry kibble available 24/7, your puppy will want water as often as it takes a nibble of the dry food.

A visit to your vet would be advisable.

tabelmabel, danielled and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice