Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy different after daycare

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Oceans, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Oceans

Oceans PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

My puppy is nearly five months old and just went for his first day of daycare. He cried and barked a bit when I left him, but the carer said he adapted very quickly and made firm friends with one of the other dogs. The place was recommended and reputable.

However, once home my puppy started whining and sniffing everywhere like crazy. It's been four hours and he hasn't slept, even though he's wrecked. I've taken him to the garden, fed him, done some training, but still no sleep. He's watching me like a hawk and races after me if I leave the room to go to the toilet (I know this is pretty normal for puppies, but he stopped doing it recently).

Is this standard behaviour after a first day at day care? Does he feel anxious and insecure because we were apart for a day?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I expect it's a bit of everything. If he didn't get any down time at day care (can you ask them his routine?) then he's likely completely wired, as well as a bit stressed. If you have a crate or pen then pop him in there with a chew and cover it up and basically force him to calm down and have a rest. Especially at his age you need to make sure they get enough rest as they aren't great at regulating this themselves, so if he doesn't get enough chill out time at day care his body and brain will be in overdrive.

Sairy, O2.0, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Day care doesn’t suit all dogs (it’s a highly stimulating and stressful environment) and not all are well run, but more of a free for all.

Tbh not something I would ever consider.

Would a Dog Walker be better for him?

O2.0, Oceans, Sarah H and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oceans

Oceans PetForums Newbie

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the case. Walking him isn't an issue - I work from home and bring him for three walks a day and he usually plays with other dogs on at least one of those walks. But I had the day off yesterday and wanted to do a bunch of things so didn't want to leave him alone all day. I thought daycare might be a good way to let him get used to me not being around him 24/7, whilst playing with other dogs. But maybe a dogsitter is a better option!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice