UK Pet Forums Forum banner
933 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  CheddarS 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m hoping somebody can offer some advice!

Our 8 month old cocker stopped toileting in the house completely in January - since then she has been sleeping through the night and waiting for us to let her in the garden in the morning. She usually does a poop in the morning and a poop in the evening.

However for the last five days she has had diarrhoea. The first day was the worst, and the last few days have been mild to moderate. She has stopped her usual toileting routine and for the last three nights has done a runny poop on the kitchen floor, around 4/5/6am. I really try to get her to toilet outside for ages before bed, with playing in the garden, taking her for a walk, but she doesn’t poop.

Her food is still the same, her behaviour is still the same, she is still a crazy cocker spaniel, the only recent thing I can think of that could be affecting her is her bad habit of trying to drink from puddles even though we stop her (and it has been raining a lot more in the last week or so), and she has also licked some cow dung in the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone know how I can get her digestive system back on track??

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly as it's been going on for more than a few days I would speak to your vet, while your waiting for an appointment it won't hurt to starve her for a day then feed her very small meals of steam chicken or white fish with some boiled rice.

Hope she gets well soon.

#5 ·
One of the times Dillon had a upset tummy the Vet gave us some paste to put on his food, I have not idea what it was now but his diarrhoea stopped almost straight way.

Reactions: sophielou96
#8 ·
If she drinks from puddles, it's possible she's picked Giardia (or something else), would need treating with an appropriate anti-protozoa for Giardia. Young dogs tend to be more affected than older ones.
Starve for a day, unless she's underweight. Get some prokolin and give that, bland diet until she firms up then gradual restore the normal diet. I'd go to the vet for anything going on longer than 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.