Puppy diarrhoea...need advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Blondiemoo, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Blondiemoo

Blondiemoo PetForums Newbie

My breeder has contacted me to say that I can no longer collect my puppy tomorrow as she has diarrhoea.

I've been told that the diarrhoea has been caused by the pups feeding off the mum after they had been fully weaned and had not had any of her milk for over two weeks.

Could this have caused the diarrhoea. I've googled it and can't seem to find an answer as to whether this could be the cause.

Reading all of the information available regarding diarrhoea in puppies has made me concerned that the diarrhoea could be caused by something else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

A dam's milk would not give a puppy diarrhoea.

It's more likely to be something the Breeder has fed.

It is encouraging, however, that the Breeder does not want you to take the pup until the problem is resolved.

Diarrhoea in pups is not unusual and does not mean something is very wrong.

I would stay in touch with the Breeder and collect your pup once the problem is resolved.

Burrowzig and Blondiemoo like this.
  3. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

I would check before you get your puppy, that they have been checked by a Vet and have the all clear

Happy Paws, Blondiemoo and JRB123 like this.
  4. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Junior

Glad the breeder is making sure the puppy is ok before going home with you. Hopefully it will see a vet and you can have peace of mind it’s nothing more worrying

Blondiemoo likes this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I cant see why there should be anything in the milk itself which should upset a puppies stomach and cause diarrhoea,unless of course its something the mother has picked up or eaten herself and its transferred in the milk even then in theory more then one puppy may likely have it (unless you mean its not just your pup.) It could be something the puppies have eaten or food the breeders given them that's upset him/them.

There are of course various reasons diarrhoea can occur, however, the breeder I would say is doing the right, decent and responsible thing in delaying rehoming to make sure the problems solved and he/she is well before you taking him home. Puppies can get stressed on leaving mum and litter mates and all that is familiar anyway, which in turn itself can cause loose motions and even diarrhoea just through the relocation stress, so if he already has an upset tum, that could also be a factor why she wants to make sure they are over it and OK before rehoming too.

Happy Paws and Blondiemoo like this.
  6. Blondiemoo

Thank you for your advice, our puppy is now fine and home with us settling in nicely :)

7. Blondiemoo

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was all of the puppies who had it but they are all ok now and have gone to their forever homes

Really glad the breeder was so good and made sure our little princess was ok to come home with us before we collected her,

I was just really worried that it was something more serious when I couldn’t find any info online about the dam’s milk.

Panic over!

Twiggy likes this.
  8. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

So glad she OK and home with you

Pictures Please