Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy diarrhea ....... confused

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jakerleen, May 28, 2010.

1. jakerleen

jakerleen PetForums Junior

Hi I am new here and looking to see if anyone has any ideas as to how to help my little girl.

Molly is 13 weeks old and a labrador/german shepherd cross. We bought her 3 weeks ago and being totally honest, I didn't think she was very well looked after. We were told she had been wormed but that was it. She was the last puppy in a litter of 14. They gave me a can of butchers to come away with. I didn't want her on that so decided on dry food.

When she came home her poo was soft, not runny but soft. The vet said she was underweight to do the vaccinations and gave her a week, in that time to feed her rice and chicken, then bring her onto puppy food slowly. Which i did, using royal canin to start with. Within the week her poo got worse, the vet advised starving her and giving her water for 24 hours. I did this and everything firmed up and she was great, had her jabs and all happy. Then it started again, it all loosened up until eventually it was just the squirts. I called the vet out (we hae a mobile one as me and hubby disabled) on Monday and she said there was no temperature, she looked well and that nothing else seemed wrong with her (she examined her all over). To be on the safe side she gave her an anti-biotic and said to starve her again and just put her on rice and slowly bring in james wellbeloved. After the starving her poo was solid and fine ....... again for a few days. She had rice and chicken with a small amount of james wellbeloved mixed in yesterday, just as i was told to do and she had diarrhea, but also 2 solid poos. I caught her trying to lick the diarrhea up ....... could this be causing it??

Apart from this she is happy and running round, doesn't seem upset by anything, just really great. She is hungry and drinking water.

Any advice much appreciated. I want to feed her something and the vet said she isn't so worried because Molly doesnt have temperature and seems well in herself.

jackie x

2. rona

rona Guest

A lot of dogs can't tolerate chicken. Try and get hold of some white fish to add to the rice. They sell frozen blocks of white fish in most pet shops.
    Also, look at the ingredients on the food you choose

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I agree with Rona as my rough can't tolerate anything with chicken in. I would also go for anything fish based and see how you go with that. There is a guy on here who is involved with The Natrural Dog Food Company in the classified section have a look at that as he will send you out some samples.

4. jakerleen

brilliant thank you :) going to give it a go.

5. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

hey, i had my dog on jwb he was hyper and very soft poo as well

took him off it and had him on half raw half jwb then total raw.

vet decided that raw for his age was not good, and strqaight back on jwb. last night i had a totally hyper dog and this morning he had terrible diarrhoea, i'm now certain its the jwb.

however this may be just my puppy.

but its worth ordering a few samples to see if she'll eat anything else
    so far i've ordered
    burns
    skinners
    arden grange
    csj
    pets at home- own brand (pick up free in store)
    and one or two i cannot remember

6. jakerleen

I just worry about her because she looks thin to me. I will try the fish with her and see where i go form there. Thanks so much everyone. Vet is due on Tuesday for 2nd vaccination so will have another chat with her then.

Jackie xxx

7. rona

rona Guest

Not good to keep changing food for a puppies digestion :(

Hopefully the fish will work and you will have a bouncing healthy dog by Tuesday :)

8. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i know its not good, i'm ordering them to see which one he prefers.... then putting him onto that....... as he's a fussy eater gonna let him chose instead of buy a big bag and him screwing his nose up at it

9. rona

rona Guest

HaHa, you'll start the bag and he'll probably still go off it half way through
    Awkward little buggers :D :D

10. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I had some horrendous digestive problems with one of mine,too long a story to go into,but eventually after many good quality foods i was reccommended CSJ.I emailed Ceri with our problem and she helped us to sort it out.All mine are on the food now and i havent looked back.Its not right for everyone,but its worth an email as their advise is great.they dont push onto you the expensive foods but just what they think your dog will be ok on.
    Another thing to think about is the protein level,my dogs(even as pups) couldnt take high protein foods and were far better on an adult lower protein food from pups.
    I hope you get it sorted,not much fun for your pup or you.

11. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i have had several emails back and forth with Ceri of CSJ and she is fantastic.

to be honest i hope it CSJ my dog picks as she is a pleasure to deal with

12. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

They do a good range to choose from too.

13. jakerleen

Just wanted to update 2 days and stomach is doing well. Only fed her fish and rice so far ........ everything has been solid. Feeding little and often to help her tum. I have a feeling the chicken has been a culprit.

Bearpaw thank you so much for the pm's as well, the support was so re-assuring.

Fingers crossed on tuesday I will have that happy bouncy puppy ready for her injections :thumbup:

jackie xx

14. rona

rona Guest

Good news :thumbup:
    Hopefully you've cracked it and avoiding chicken is all you need to do :D

15. jakerleen

Rona, you have no idea how many parts of my anatomy are crossed on that lol. This is the first time she has looked really well since we got her home. Her coat feels softer and she looks well. When I can work out how to post pictures I will put one up of her and Henri on the cat section.

jackie xx

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Brilliant news!!!! Hope she continues to do well. :D

From past experience I know how worrying it is. All I can say is that now you have found something that works, I would keep her on it for a while to let her tum really heal. Then if you want to change, do it ever so gradually over a long period of time. Nurse her tum through the change.;)

6 months later and I still have to be careful introducing even the smallest thing different to Heidi and monitor her pooh for any change. Some things I can get away with, some I cant but gradually her tum is becoming more tolerant and I know what I can get away with and when I need to be careful.

Good luck :thumbup:

17. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Only just seen your thread, glad things are improving now. :thumbup:

My german shepherd pup had a dodgy tum within a couple of weeks of having him, he was never solid then it turned to profuse brown water!! :eek: He had to go in the vets on a drip in the end and they found out he had campylobactor, after 3 weeks of antibiotics he was fine. He has always had a verysensitive tummy though, he is now 16months old and just had another bout of V* and D*!! He is undergoing tests.

Hopefully your pup is just alergic to the chicken, but if he has another bout i would ask the vets to maybe test a stool sample from him?

Look forward to photos! :thumbup:
    We used to have a lab x gsd and he was 14 when we lost him last year, fabulous dog though a real joy to own. Just like i am sure your pupster will be. X X

18. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Its so good to hear shes had a settled tum for a day or two now.:)
    Keep doing what you are doing.

19. jakerleen

Another ok morning :thumbup:

jackie xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice