Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy decided he no longer likes walking....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cubegame, Jul 7, 2009.

1. cubegame

cubegame PetForums Newbie

Good morning.

I just wondered if other people have experience of this. Our little 13 week old Westie pup, Monty has been walking absolutely fine ever since his second set of jabs. He was quite happy on even quite long walks and appeared in seconds as soon as the W word was mentioned.

However, in the past few days he doesn't want to venture beyond the top of the driveway. If we encourage him further he soon stops and won't budge. In that case, he'll quite happily head home but will stop in his tracks again if we try to venture a different way.

One thing we have noticed is that he seems to be most obstinate when only one of us is taking him for a walk and he's more willing if we both go walking with him. He also is happy to walk away from home if we take a run out in the car.

Is this just a passing phase?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How long are your long walks?

Has he has any scary experiences whilst out? Met a much larger dog or seemed nervous of anything?

3. cubegame

We normally take him about 20 to 30 mins, although he's had one hour long walk recently (and he'd have been happy to keep going!).

He's met loads of dogs of all sizes and been happy with them. The only bad experience he had with a dog was with a large alsatian which was the very first dog he met three weeks ago. He was scared but we've met loads of friendly collies since then and when we next ran into the same alsatian he was as happy as Larry. The only thing he really has a dislike of is motorbikes.

At his first puppy training class last night he seemed to be far the most confident pup as he just took it all in with a little excitement.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Be careful not to overexercise him. This can cause growth problems.

Im sure this is a phase a lot of dogs go through. Mine certainly did.

A lot of people say just carry on walking, and they will eventually give up and follow. Im not keep on dragging a dog myself.

You could try encouraging him with a toy or treat, make going out and about an exciting and rewarding exoerience. Sometimes carrying them a little past their invisible barrier can help.

Im sure some more people with have better suggestions.

Good luck :)

5. Jacinth

Jacinth PetForums Junior

Hi there

My 16 week old border collie has decided he know longer likes walking either. We've just come back from a walk and he is very unhappy. I practically had to drag him home! :( He hates motorbikes and I think this triggered it a week or so ago. Also, he hates going in the car, and as our car is parked outside the house, he now thinks everytime we're going out, he has to go in the car. I'm dreading this evening as it's puppy class time and it'll be hell getting him in the car. Treats or toys don't work if he doesn't want to do something. Sorry, I'm no help, but I'm on the lookout for advice too.

6. cubegame

Sorry to hear that Jacinth. Hope you manage to solve your problem.

Our little pup does seem to have become nervous of absolutely everything outside the house. I took him a walk last night for 15 minutes. He didn't really settle at all and it took lots of reassuring and coaxing (with a little dragging too!!),

He's just become so jumpy and neither my girlfriend or I can cast our minds to any experience which would have spooked him.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Try not to reassure him. By doing this you are saying to him there is something to be scared of, and that his reaction is acceptable.

You need to try and ignore his fear, and make walking a positive experience.

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

just a suggestion: if he's not wantin to walk due to a fear of somethin could you not carry him round the neighbourhood or where you wud normally take him. and show him everythin?

i done this wen i was learnin sheldon to walk (altho he is a cat im sure it wud be similar)

9. Jacinth

Jacinth PetForums Junior

I took Flash out today, and realised that it is indeed the traffic. He is fine when it's quiet so I've decided before 7am and after 6pm is best. Today on the way back it had quietened down and he was fine as long as there are no lorries or motorbikes as they really freak him out.

Also, unbelievable, but for the first time he had no problem getting in the car! I think he realised it was puppy classes again which he loves, so be persistent and your puppy will be fine, just don't reassure him as this is something I never did. Good luck

10. Scarlett03

Scarlett03 PetForums Junior

Oscar is 19 weeks tomorrow and he refused to walk for me this morning. However, I took him out in the afternoon and he was fine. I think he's just not a morning dog, he just wants to do his business and get back to bed!

We did go out last night for 30 mins but it was windy and he hated it. I never thought Oscar the Parsons Russell would be a fair weather dog. Hopefully that will change.

11. Jacinth

Jacinth PetForums Junior

Scarlett03, he may not be a morning dog. Flash doesn't like the mornings either. Just eats his breakfast and then goes to sleep until the afternoon. Eats again and then goes to sleep. He prefers the evenings, so don't worry.

12. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I had problems for well over 4 months with nikki, more or less fixed it now with cheering and treat/ funny toy. She is so scared of motorcycles and scooters, think it was all the reason. Sadly i live in a city, and got no car so we HAVE to walk a piece in the streets before the forest start and all is peaceful.

Try cheering and have something with you to distract or bait the pup. ;)
    Maybe he set hes mind on something more fun at home, or maybe another route with more dogfriends?

13. cubegame

Well we keep trying. He had a good long walk last night at a big country park near us. Still a bit nervous and he's sniffing everything (something he didn't do before) but we got round. Funny thing is, meeting other dogs really puts a spring into his step for a few minutes and he's always eager to meet and greet. I guess that means he didn't have a scary dog experience.

Still wasn't interested in a quick stroll from the house this morning though.

:)

14. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I'm kinda going through the same thing with my labrador and he's a year old.
    It's been really hard for me, seeing as he's really strong and isn't interested in food out on walks and got bored of the squeaky toy after one day.
    Though I do know what's triggered it.
    But if you find something that works to get him moving, it's just a case of perserverance and patience.
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice