Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy death leads to breeder ban

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by testmg80, Aug 2, 2009.

1. testmg80

testmg80 PetForums VIP

A dog breeder has been banned from keeping animals for five years after cruelty officers found a dead puppy and other starving creatures in her care.

Linda Fedorec, 41, of Queen Street, Dumfries, admitted causing unnecessary suffering to the dogs.

She was also fined £480 at Dumfries Sheriff Court for the offences at Balgray Home Farm near Lockerbie.

The Scottish SPCA said a lifetime ban would have been appropriate for keeping the dogs in "horrific conditions".

The court heard that Fedorec was highly thought of in dog breeding circles.

"The conditions I was faced with when I entered the premises were horrific and shocking"

Insp June Chalcroft
    Scottish SPCA

However, animal cruelty officers, responding to a tip-off, found a dead Leonberger puppy and five other "emaciated" animals when they visited her premises in February last year.

A post-mortem examination showed that the dead puppy had been lying for at least 24 hours.

Fedorec admitted leaving the puppy in a cage without supervision as a result of which it had become trapped for an extended period.

She also pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to five other dogs by failing to provide adequate nutrition and necessary veterinary attention.

Solicitor Ranald Lindsay said Fedorec had been breeding and showing dogs for 12 years.

He stressed she had been unwell and been suffering "personal difficulties" at the time of the offences.

Filthy floor

Scottish SPCA Inspector June Chalcroft, who headed the investigation, said they felt a life ban would have been "fitting and appropriate".

"The conditions I was faced with when I entered the premises were horrific and shocking," she said.

"The floor was filthy and littered with urine and faeces and the dogs were all very thin.

"No food or water was available for them and by all accounts they had been abandoned."

She added that the surviving animals had all now been rehomed with responsible owners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

5 years what a joke!!!

Sick women :mad: :mad:

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

5 years? Should be a lifetime ban and life sentence! :mad:

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

RIP poor puppy.

what a horrible woman!! 5 years is ridiculus, especially since i doubt anyone will actually check!!!

5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

It was someone who had been respected?..........shows you cant trust anyone!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice